Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lists and Legacies

Well... it's that time of year. They're everywhere. They're on the minds or in the notebooks of every elementary school child in America. You see them in every paper, magazine, and scrolling down the screen in newscasts. Those hokey lists stating "What I'm Thankful For."

So what's one more.

I told myself forever that I wanted a rich, full life. I beleived that I'd be satisfied when I finally had all of the things that I dreamed of as a little girl. A big house with beautiful dishes and fancy furniture. I dreamt that I'd have closets full of dresses with sequins and beads, and a fur coat. But, with time I realized that having those things didn't satisfy me at all. I began moving toward a peaceful, inwardly simple life isn't about depriving and denying myself of the things I want. It's about getting rid of the things that no longer contribute to the fullnes of my life, leaving time and space for those things that will still matter when I'm gone.

I've come to realize that living the "good life" is a matter of making peace with who we are, because until we do...we'll never be content with what we have.

Living a full live doesn't mean having it all, going everywhere, doing everything, being all things to all people. Many of us have begun to realize that too much is ... well, just that...too much. Maybe we've been collecting so many things because we've been living in a past life. Or we've been living in a maybe someday, what if I might life.

Acheiving serenity may ultimately mean doing fewer things and having less stuff, but when the time is right for each of us, the decision to do less and to own less, will come, not from self denial, but from the wisdom that comes by taking time fo figure out what is really important to us, and in letting go of all the rest.

I finally came to the point a few years back when I decided not to buy one more thing unless it was something I absolutely could not live without. There's not too much of that out there.

Now, if I buy something, I'll treat myself to a big bouquet of flowers. I'll spend the afternoon with a friend, see a matinee and buy the biggest bucket of popcorn they sell. I'll buy some little thing to surprise a neighbor. I'll spend my time and money on building memories, not building a higher stack of clutter to set on a shelf, or purchasing something else that I'll have to squeeze into an already overflowing closet.

Since making that decision, I have had fewer things, but more abundance in my life.

I wrote a list of what abundance was to me a few years back. I share it with you now because this really is what I'm thankful for.

Wildflowers in a mason jar
Birds sitting on telephones wires
Licking the beaters
My Mother's hands
Bare feet on a summer day
A cup of tea and a moment of quiet
Hummingbirds fighting over the bird feeder
The sharp smell of fallen pine needles
A tank full of gas and time for a drive
Raspberry starts in spring
family vacations
Wearing fun hats
Wind chimes in a garden
Warm socks on a cold day
The words, "Mom, I'm home"
Sandpipers chasing waves on a sandy shore
Playing dress up
Jumping in a pile of fall leaves
A cool hand on a hot forehead
Telling stories at dusk
My children's faces by campfire light
Someone to cry with
My husband walking with our children
Having a choice
A ripe nectarine
The funny names of small towns
Sand between my toes
Nuzzling a baby's downy hair
Waking to someone you love beside you
A freshly sharpened pencil
Horses running in a field
Little boys playing in puddles
Hydrangeas
White English fences
The family dog's welcome
Memories

All of these make my LIFE full, not the corners of my family room. I am grateful to have learned what I truly want to leave behind for my children. A legacy of pleasure in the small joys each day brings. Memories of a mother who built sand castles with them, took leisurely water hikes, shared sweet oranges and laughter with them, who loves them, loves their father, and who loves God.

16 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What an extraordinarily beautiful post! and it expresses absolutely everything that I feel, that I believe and how I try to see and to live my own life. It isn't so much about having and getting as loving and giving, and the small, beautiful things that come into our lives each and every day -- if we're just willing to see and to appreciate them. Happy, happy Thanksgiving!

Jean said...

That is one fantastic list. "My mother's hands" especially touched my heart and filled my eyes with tears. Thank you.

dellgirl said...

This is a wonderful post, especially for this time of year. It would be good if those who truly need it could read it and understand. But, I believe understanding what you are talking about comes from experience and wisdom. I agree with you and love your list.

Great Grandma Lin said...

thank you for sharing you, as i read i could see and feel you in your life. you're a great example to me as a friend. so happy that you are sharing this with others and especially for your family...love ya, lin

SandyCarlson said...

The list of sensory delights made my evening. I was explaining dew to kids at work. I described being barefoot outside on a summer morning. The kids got it, and I felt connected to them in that little bit of innocence. Dew tickles. It's fun. And being out there barefoot makes us alive to so many of the other pleasures you describe.

Your points about possessions struck a note with me.For afrivolous example....At one point, I owned 13 green sweaters. They were gifts from loving friends who know I like green and I like sweaters. "My life is too good," I thought. And I realized my friends gave me the opportunity to give away so much of what I loved. Eventually, I did. All those sweaters went out to warm others after I enjoyed the loving kindness that came with wearing the gifts of friends. 13 is way too many of anything. But it's a wonderful reminder that it's possible and right to give it all away.

Linda Reeder said...

A beautiful expression of a life philosophy - words to live by.
Too bad it takes most of us 60 or so years to find wisdom. We all could have used it much earlier.

Mare said...

This is a beautiful post. We are kindred spirits. I have way too many things to redistribute, but I am working on it.

Anonymous said...

Little boys playing in puddles - I know how to be thankful for that too.

Unknown said...

Thanksgiving is all about marrying the new with the old, and stopping for a moment, amid all those memories, ... and finding a way to make it work, and being thankful that it semi-works half way.

Kay said...

You are such a wise and beautiful soul, Caryn. I'm envious of Lin. You've given me something to think about. We sold off or donated so much of our stuff when we moved to Hawaii and now I'm beginning to collect things again. I've got to readjust my priorities. Thank you for the heads up.

Rinkly Rimes said...

If I started listing the things I'm grateful for I'd never stop!

Deborah Godin said...

What a beautiful list, and wonderufl thoughtful post. Some of the things you mentioned just blossomed in my mind's eye!

Unknown said...

We are not just mother and son, but souls connected.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Caryn, I really enjoyed your post. Especially noted your comment that you've come to 'realize that living the "good life" is a matter of making peace with who we are, because until we do...we'll never be content with what we have.'

That's so true... we have to like ourselves first before we can really enjoy what we have.

Enjoyed reading the list of 'abundances' you enjoy!

SandyCarlson said...

I woke up to your kind and thoughtful comment on my blog, and I am glad I did. Sometimes I feel like I'm winging it at work, so your insights gave me assurance. Thank you very much!

Deborah Godin said...

p.s. Re your comment to me - I replied to the holey rock question on that same post, but didn't know if you'd check back, so thought I'd stop here again and let you know. (Also, it's always great to discover another West Side Story "lip-syncker" I'm impressed!)