Monday, November 24, 2008

Just desserts


I got up a little early this morning to make some rice pudding to take to a colleague who had quite a mishap on her horse yesterday... I was just a tad bleary eyed, so I turned the "Juke Box Oldies" station on the sound system to help put some spark in my step.

I'm measuring the cinnamon when a twangy little ditty by the name of "Just Walk on By" starts to play. Some pygmie of a man is singing to his sweetheart how much he loves her, but he belongs to another...sob. He blathers on about how hard it is for him to think of giving her up, he just can't...but, they must remain strangers on the street... wah, sob. So he tells her that if she sees him with his wife just to "Walk on By", and "Wait on the Corner". Are you kidding me?! Not gonna happen with this gal! I'm beating the eggs furiously by this time thinking, "Am I supposed to feel sorry for this two timing twit?" (I know, I get worked up easily when you try to get me moving sooner than my bodie's natural cycle wants to)...

Then... I love this... the very next song to play was, "Hit the Road, Jack". Woohoo!Is that sweet justice, or what? It just got me whistling and dancing, singing at top volume and slapping my pant leg with a wooden spoon everytime the song said, "Hit the Ro-o-oad Jack, and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more... Hit the Ro-o-oad Jack, and don't you come back no more.... I was feeling good as I placed my rice, egg and raisin dessert in the oven. Silly? Yeah, probably. I mean it wasn't a major strike for womanhood or anything. But, whatever works to bring a giggle to your heart, eh?

Anyway... Hopefully, this will NOT be the highlight of my day. I raise my orange juice glass to better things to come, and the ability to continue to enjoy the small things.

11 comments:

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I'm certainly not worried about you enjoying--everything. And anyone who gets up before her body actually wants to, just to make someone else a lovely surprise, has to be collecting credit where it really matters!

At least with those old songs we could understand the words. Try some of the new ones. Geez.

Kay said...

I agree with Jo, Caryn. That rice pudding looks so scrumptious.

Deborah Godin said...

What a nice friend you are...and the pudding looks scrumpy. It's that secret ingredient - rock 'n' roll! I really chuckled reading your "analysis" of the lyrics. Wasn't there another, different, song by the same title from almost the same era? Hmmm, it's coming to me.. I think it was Dionne Warwick?

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Hey Caryn! You made me laugh right out loud at your commentary (still chuckling as I type this) about the tweeb sobbing about his lost love.... loved your version of it!

And...that rice pudding looks scrumpt-delli-ious!

PS. Don't think I ever mentioned that I love the way your name is spelled...

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey friend, i'm glad you paid attention to what you were doing and didn't put too much cinammon in and wreck the pudding. i like rice pudding. even had some non sugar apple pie today in a restaurant. we are in austin texas where allen graduated from college. it's the capitol of texas. enjoy your post and singing and description.

Mare said...

You are a good person! And rice pudding is one of our favorite desserts[that would be Flo and me!]. God bless ya.

Rambling Woods said...

I couldn't get past the fact that you made rice pudding. I LOVE RICE PUDDING and have tried making it and it came out awful every time....so I am very impressed that you make it so that it is edible.

New Rambling Woods Site

Jade said...

I love how you can turn the music on at your house and hear it all over the house and all over the "farm" too. Also, I love that oldies station, it plays the best songs and no commercials.
I am loving the "get thee up" post too. Great reminder. Thanks!

Sylvia K said...

I remember that song very well, have sung in and slapped my pants leg as well! The pudding does look scrumptious and I'm sure your friend really enjoyed it and your kindness. Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

dellgirl said...

I'm late so I missed the smell of rice pudding cooking. That was a really nice thing to do for a friend, you are very special. I love the dancing to the music, that really gets my juices going.

Susan said...

you need to post that recipe. having just cooked and served for 24, i'm ready for something that looks as good as that pudding...which I have never made myself.

songs...aren't they funny what they can do to you?