Friday, November 14, 2008

Gladys Lena "Happy Bottom" Brown









In answer to my good friend Lin's request. Here are a couple of photographs of my mother.

The top picture is one of my favorites. It's the way I remember her...doing some little kindess for someone.

She is eighty years old and sitting at my dining room table writing a note to a neighbor to tell her she had noticed her young son doing something she thought was impressive that morning. She was always and forever writing notes to someone. Truly, there never beat a more tender heart.

I should have included a picture of her handwriting. She could write smaller than I can type, both beautifully and legibly. Honestly, Reader's Digest would have condensed one of her postcards before printing it.

The second photo is her graduation picture. In her youth her hair was jet black and extremely thick. She was a small woman...only 5'2". She married at 22. She and my dad fell in love amost instantly and remained contentedly husband and wife throughout their lives.

I need to get the one small indignity she had to face out of the way. She was the oldest of five children...had three younger brothers. They were a motley crew who referred to her from the time they first learned to speak as "Happy Bottom". Her name was Gladys... get it? glad -ys... got it yet? Glad-ass. Brothers! Seems like their whole purpose is to taunt. At least when they're not protecting. She had a ready laugh, although she never understood anybody's jokes. She knew every flower in creation by both common and botanical names. She was an average cook when it came to meatloaf and soups, but, she made incredible desserts! She never worked outside the home, but was the local "kool-aid mom" to all of our friends. When I was in the ninth grade I wrote a paper titled, "She's everybody's Mom" about her. She loved to play tennis and baseball, had a mean back hand and could hit a wicked line drive. She could type 95 words a minute on an old manual typewriter. I can remember listening to her in her office...clackity, clackity, clack, clack, ching!!!" Her fingers just tap danced on those keys. She didn't much like fancy things. She always wore housedresses or muumuu's. Daddy offered to buy her a fur coat one Christmas and she just thought the idea was silly. Well... we DID live in sunny Southern California so it probably was. But sunshine and warm temperatures didn't stop the Hollywood stars from wearing them, so daddy wanted her to have one, too. More on her lack of interest in owning anything too fancy or "hoity toity" as she called it... we ate off of S&H Green Stamp dishes and drank from metal Arden Cottage Cheese glasses. Does anyone remember those? We lived in the biggest house in the neighborhood, had the first television and the first garage door opener, and Daddy always bought her a big car. But, that was him... not her.

She never went to bed until my sisters and I were tucked in for the night after an evening out. She asked all of us the same question almost every time we came in the door. "Did he kiss you good night?" And her reaction to our answers remained the same for a decade. "No" resulted in a pat on our hand. "Yes" resulted in "Gasp!" followed by a look of disappoinment or horror depending on how well we knew the young man. She was rarely ever angry and always busy making something to give away. She sang constantly, always off tune, and generally with a rather loud voice. She had literally hundreds of people who loved her. And she was (and is) adored and revered by her children.

13 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

This is a beautiful post that makes me think about my Mom...


Caryn..to find the new Rambling Woods blog just click on this hypertext link

Rambling Woods

Blogger was causing me too many problems and now I am using Word Press as the host. You can still follow me too. I hope you will..

Great Grandma Lin said...

hi we are in california...in the desert going to see rock art tomorrow. thanks for telling about your mom. she sounds a lot like you...fun photos to remember her. don't you wonder how it will seem to hug your mom when you are the same age....and she isn't old old old. fun i think-maybe we can become friends...

Chandi said...

Reading this made me cry. I miss her. Once again, I wish I could have known her as an adult. The first picture you posted is how I remember her too. That and sleeping with her in her room. I remember sitting there across from her on the bed both of us playing with her touch tone lamps. I remember all the little things she would knit for her ward's primary at every holiday. Big sigh......

Kay said...

This is such a beautiful post, Caryn. It's a warm and loving tribute to a woman who was obviously well loved by everyone with good reason. She was a lovely young woman and an even more beautiful lady as she aged. You were very fortunate indeed and still are because you have the legacy she left you, a treasure trove of loving memories.

Mare said...

Your mom and my [great]Aunt Emma could have been twins.
Having such wonderful memories of your mom js indeed priceless. God blessed you.

SandyCarlson said...

Your mom is some lady. She inspires me, even now. Your description reminds me so much of my own grandmother. She loved life, plain and simple, and gave it all she had. Your mother's kindness toward others touches my heart. I am glad you shared all of this today.

(Thanks for your thoughtful comment on my blog. I have been bemused this week by the folks who turn patriotism--a love for friends and family--into a complicated statement on foreign policy or some kind of curtailing of free thought. First and last, it's about love. Thanks for adding your voice to this conversation.)

Deborah Godin said...

I so enjoyed reading this! My own mother died when I was in my 20s. I keep thiking I should have been old enough to remember her well, but I find so many details have slipped away. This was really heartwearming to read.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

That was a wonderful post. It makes me think about how much I need to appreciate my own mother while she's still here.

SandyCarlson said...

(Thanks for your kind comments on my blog, Caryn. I do appreciate them, especially after a day's work. Reading your comments is like coming home to a friend.)

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful tribute. I wish I could have met her. I always liked how Chandi has a ring made from her wedding ring.

Linda Reeder said...

From my blog contact with you, I would say your mother is reflected in you.
I love my mom, but you had a truly lovable mother.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a beautiful story of your mom. Thanks for sharing.

I was most interested to read your comments that she loved writing notes -- so do I! If fact, it's one of my favourite things -- looking for beautiful cards and notepaper and then using them to share an encouraging word right out of the blue.

So I would have loved to meet your mom!

polly conway said...

I found this post by Googling "Gladys Happy Bottom, which was my grandmother's bridge club nickname. I'm glad to find that she wasn't the only lovely lady with that moniker. A beautiful tribute. Thank you!