Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Just thinkin...

I read about a psychiatry class on emotional extremes where the professor was asking the students the opposite of several emotions. "What is the opposite of joy?" he asked one student. "Sadness" was the reply. "The opposite of depression?" he asked another student, the scholar in the class. "Ebulience" was the answer. Very good, commented the professor. The professor then asked a young woman from Texas, "What is the opposite of woe?" The Texan, crinkled her brow, thought, brightened, and replied, "Sir, I believe that would be giddy-up".

I was just thinking about that.... and it's true. The opposite of woe really is giddy-up. Git thee up. Get going. Get moving. Do something. And if you really want to dump those woes, do something for someone else. Perhaps the Texan was the true scholar.

I don't know the full circumstances in the lives of many of you... but I do know this. There are several of you who have grasped this concept in their teeth, said "giddy-up", moved past your trials and woes and are making a full, rounded life for yourselves and those in your circle of influence. You are my inspiration. My cowgirl hat is off to all of you!

12 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

You are a great teacher. That is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful story. Thank you. My hat is off to you.

Now for me to move past a bit of woe. Time to get me up....

Thank you, friend.

Great Grandma Lin said...

thanks for another inspiring post...i'm so happy you are sharing you with the world of the internet and your family as they read also...i appreciate you my friend. thanks for being there when i can't sleep and need a little boost. off to texas on friday-where the real cowboys live.

Chandi said...

This was wonderful! Sandy hat it right. You are a great teacher. I loved it. I have actually been wanting to get me up and get going on creating something. I have been thinking on it for two days and now it is time to DO!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Terrific story--and good vocabulary builder too. I have to giddy-up today to make my 300 mile drive, then turn around on Tuesday to make it again. I know your story was not so literal, but it was just what I needed today.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

You made me LOL with the Woe and Giddy-up! It's perfect!

Loved your post....and the pics!

Now I must giddy-up and git to my newsletter...

Hi Ho Silver!

Linda Reeder said...

My hat is off to you, too. You are always an inspiration!

Rambling Woods said...

Loved this post Caryn and that is true. When my daughter is feeling bad, I let her vent and then tell her to get going...I guess that is what I tell myself too. Not that it always works, but you have to keep going. Thank you so much for all the support and lovely comments you leave on my blog. You do make a person feel good about themselves and so my hat (which is a snow hat) is off to you too..

Rambling Woods Has Moved Here

Susan said...

Amazing thought! thanx. Love the connection and the pix. Fun to consider...interesting where it came from....might need to remember this often.

Kay said...

Caryn, thank you for this post. It is very timely for me. I was just feeling a little down and I definitely needed to have you "git me up." Your posts and comments are always so beautifully thoughtful and heartfelt.

Mare said...

Ditto to all of the comments before mine. I always look forward to your stories. Keep 'em comin'.

dellgirl said...

Woe and giddy-up! Too too funny!! So true, true, true!!!

Sandy said...

This is a great git-er-done post. Thanks for stopping by. I'll be sure to come back and catch up.