Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pumpkins and Sunlight

I love living at the Hollow. It's beautiful in every season. I love the light shining through the trees when a soft spring rain begins to mist the land, the clematis that effortlessly graces our entry when summer sun heats the soil, the vibrant, cheerful harvest of fall that colors the landscape in October, and the cool white snow that washes the grove with simplicity in winter.

Each season has it's own purpose, tells it's own message, has it's own value. Each in it's own time treats us to it's own delights.

It occurs to me that we are like my land in many ways. We each have our own purpose, tell our own message. Each season of our life has it's own beauty, value, and delights.

The more I accept that time is a limited resource, the more I treasure it. The more I want to fill every minute with value. I've mentioned before that I see a great difference in being busy, and in being productive. I've also mentioned that on occasion I find puttering to be extremely productive, and of immeasurable worth.

My husband and I stopped by for a short visit with several of our neighbors to deliver a goodie to them Halloween night. It was interesting to note how many of them were spending their time. It was a tender awakening for me. A few young couples in their 20's and 30's were dressing their children in inventive costumes for an evening of trick or treating. One couple in their late 40's was playing a board game with their son on the family room floor. Another 60ish couple was straining home made apple juice. They shared a glass with us and it was yummilicious! A couple in their 70's were cutting intricate wooden clocks and painting them for Christmas gifts. (and they were gorgeous, I might add) Another, that are in their 80's were sitting side by side at the kitchen counter making rootbeer lollipops together. Why? Because they thought it would be fun. Now, I don't know that I was as impressed with their productivity in creating tangible things that could be held and touched as much as I was impressed by their productivity in developing strong relationships and precious memories. They were all at different "seasons" of life. And they were all doing something of value. They were each spending their time, and giving their attention to one another, nurturing and replenishing each other in the same manner that rain nurtures and replenishes parched soil. And they were all a beautiful sight to see fullfilling the purpose and living the message of thier season.



What a delightful evening they treated us to, and what a memorable All Hallows Eve it was.

9 comments:

Jean said...

Love the account of the various "seasons" of life you observed as you paid your Halloween visits.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Wow, as usual I loved your post.

You must live in a very special place. No one was just watching television in separate rooms? Reading? I am impressed with your neighborhood--inhabited by couples as interesting as you are.

Rambling Woods said...

Wow...I think I have begun to look back on the seasons of my life..beautiful post Caryn

Susan said...

what a yummilicious entry...and great word by the way. I think i need to get out more and observe what my friends are doing and when. and do your friends sell these clocks they make? I might need one. I love clocks if they move or make noise.

Great Grandma Lin said...

Caryn, this post is beautiful, both the words and the photos and YOU-the poetess! Well worth the wait...so glad you are enjoying your life and filling it with gratitude. You set a good example for all of us. Love ya, Lin

Linda Reeder said...

Your post leaves me feeling serene.
I have to say I might not have measured up if you had dropped in on me most Halloween evenings. But this year I was very productive in making family memories.
Thank you for your beautiful thoughts and words.

SandyCarlson said...

This is a great outlook. I love your brand of wisdom. The tone here reminds me of Ecclesiastes. The photos are gorgeous, too.

Chandi said...

I read this and my brain screams.........get a hobby. Take up something like pottery or hula dancing so I can have something worthwhile to do in the evenings besides read, clean, or watch tv.

Still LOVE the picture of the trees with the light streaming through. It makes me think of the sacred grove.

Kay said...

What gorgeous photos, especially that last one and your sentiments were beautifully expressed as always. It was a reminder to us, to me to cherish all our precious moments. Thank you very much.