Monday, December 8, 2008

Since the Year 1969...






The year was 1969. I was standing at the window of a rather expensive boutique admiring, and desperately wanting to buy, an extremely expensive handmade Father Christmas. "You know what, Shirley? I think I'm just going to break down and pay the price." "Why? Let's just go home and make one." "Make one? Are you kidding me? I couldn't make one of those!" "Why not? They did."

To this day, I remember that conversation. I absolutely knew that there was no way I could reproduce what I saw in the window that day. I'd never painted anything in my life. I had dabbled at trying to draw a pencil sketch of an ex-boyfriend, and one of my dad...but, that was the limit of my artistic endeavors. But Shirley somehow convinced me to at least go home and try. So, we stopped at a junk yard, found some weathered wood, went home and drew a pattern on it, cut it out, and she proceeded to show me what to do to bring that old board to life. The results are the second picture from the top.

Since that time, I've painted, carved and sculpted quite a few Father Christmas's, Santas, Belsnickles, etc.

Shirley is my aunt. She's my mother's only sister, and she's younger than my oldest sister. She is also one of the people I love most in life. I lived with Shirley, my Uncle Bill and their daughters in three seperate houses over a period of several years. Shirley and I had such a great time together. Laugh? Omigosh! Til I couldn't stand up. She taught me so much! She especially taught me to never be afraid to try and accomplish anything. Her expression was, "If you're going to miss the bus anyway, you might as well miss it running after it." She gave me confidence and helped me to discover a few hidden talents. I'm a better person than I would ever have been without the precious gift of her in my life.

I tell you this because I'm leaving for California in the morning to spend some time with her. She's not dying... at least not physically. But, a few years ago she lost a daughter to liver cancer... now she's losing another one. When Nancy died it was so hard. They fought valiently to save her before she finally closed her eyes and took her last quiet breath. But, this daughter... this one is harder still. This girl will go on living, but she'll be living in hell. And Shirley can only watch from the sidelines, wondering when it all began. Where was she when it started? Why didn't she notice? What could she, should she have done? She can only look across the room at her husband with his leaden eyes and stooped shoulders and wish for a way to reach in and grab the joy that used to be apart of him. I need to be with her.

I won't be writing for a while, and I may not be commenting for a while, I didn't want anyone to think that baking and decorating had become more important to me than stopping by your sites for a visit. I'll miss you. And I'll try to check in from time to time. But, if you don't hear from me, please know I wish you all the Merriest Christmas and the Happiest Ever After.

Caryn

15 comments:

Kay said...

Oh my goodness, Caryn. You are the best, most wonderful comfort your aunt could ever have. I know that because your warmth and spirit come through in every word you write. This post went straight to the heart. Your aunt is certainly a very special kind of person. She gave you a great gift. I see all her love echoed in your Father Christmases. Go with our love... we'll be waiting for you.

Susan said...

Oh...what a joy to have the relationship you had with all these relatives. I am not going to say I'm Sorry....for what you will go through and then what you will miss. Because that only brings on the tears. But there's joy and rejoicing in what you do, and in what you will remember. Life is grand...so let's live...That bus is going to move so enjoy it while you can and chase it with memories when it leaves. What a marvelous expression.

SandyCarlson said...

Safe journey, friend. I hope you have a wonderful time in California. What a beautiful relationship. Sounds like just the inspiration. She lit quite a creative fire. Your Santas are just lovely.

God bless you on your way. And safe home.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, Caryn, I'm so sorry for pain you are facing now, but what a joy and comfort you will be for your aunt who has given you so much. Kay is right,and I can only echo her words, you can see your aunt's love echoed in the Father Christmases. Please know that I will be thinking of you and your family and holding good thoughts. Indeed, do go with our love and know we'll be waiting for you.

Carrie and Shane said...

I'm glad we have Shirley to thank for all your beautiful handmade Christmas decorations. I hope all goes well, especially during this holliday time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your Aunt's troubles. But glad that you are going to California to be with her.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful comments you have left on my blog.

Merry Christmas!

Rambling Woods said...

Oh Caryn..others have said it much better than I could..but you and your Aunt have a special bond and I hope it gives you both strength..but how to deal with the loss of a child and another now seriously ill..I don't know, I will miss you very much.

Great Grandma Lin said...

hi, i was in new harmony at dup christmas party this morning, do call or stop by on your way to or back from california. your aunt sounds like your mother...full of love and wisdom. safe journey and peace in your farewells to loved ones.

Linda Reeder said...

When I read your posting and then Kay's comment, I thought anything I said would be redundant and not nearly as eloquent. So just reread Kay's words and know I feel the same way.
Peace be with you.

Mare said...

You are an angel. I will say some prayers for everyone involved. It will be good to hear from you- whenever that may be. Peace be with you.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Caryn, Oh my... what a beautiful posting about your aunt. How precious!

We're going to miss you as you go, but please remember we'll be thinking of you and will look forward to hearing from you down the road.

Blessings to you and your dear aunt... may the Comfort of the Holy One come and stay with you every day through this season.

Jean said...

Aunt Shirley is someone each of us needs in his/her life. What a lovely tribute you wrote, Caryn. I hope the California trip goes as well as possible. Come back to us as soon as you can. Your Santas are absolutely beautiful. I'm glad Aunt Shirley encouraged you to make them.

dellgirl said...

I am so sorry to hear about your family's pain and suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I wish peace and love for you (all).

I hope you have a Merry Christmas if I don't see you around before then.

Deborah Godin said...

Wonderful story! I've always preferred the real old time Father Christmas images to the modern commercial Santa - not that I dislike them, not at all, but the old forest-y looking figures always catch my eye. Merry Christmas!

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks so much for your visits and your kind and supportive comments! I love it when you stop by. God bless.