Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Greasing the Palm

Okay, let me preface everything else I am about to say with this: I tip really well!!
About the silliest thing a restaurant can do is automatically add the gratuity to my bill. The server always puts more in his/her pocket to take home at the end of the shift when it's left to me to decide how much I'm going to leave.

That being said, can I just tell you how tired I am of finding a tip jar in more and more places.
Subway Sandwich, Taco Bell, the hairdresser, the shampoo girl, the grocery store deli, the ladie's room at the mall. Recently, I have seen requests for tips at the local pharmacist's office, the dry cleaner's, the ice cream shop, the florist shop, and See's Candies. I am asked to leave a tip for the maid who makes up the bed and cleans the shower after I leave a resort or motel. And, I was taken a bit by surprise when I saw a tip jar at a Lube Shack when I took my car in for an oil change and tire check. Honestly... don't any employers have the responsibility to pay a reasonable salary to their employees anymore? Is the customer supposed to subsidize everyone's payroll?

I suppose I'm sounding like a bit of a tight wad about now. I don't think I am. I'm extremely generous by nature and am predisposed to giving presents and cash to all sorts of friends and strangers. I love nothing more than surprising someone with a thank you gift, or tucking $5.00, $10.00, $20.00 in someone's pocket along with a short note. I always leave my pennies in the cup at the gas station for the guy who doesn't have enough change for his morning cup of coffee. I leave quarters in the horses in front of the local grocery store to treat someone's child to a ride. I place money in parking meters that have expired. I buy treats for kids who have been shopping with their mom's and are obviously getting tired and bored. I always try to buy cookies, brownies, etc from girls earning money for camp or cheerleading outfits, and little kids selling lemonade on the corner or at their mom's garage sales. I enjoy doing all of that.

And I like to tip for exceptional service. But I also like being able to decide when it's been earned. I really like the idea that it truly is a "Thanks for taking such good care of me" gesture.
I really, really like when it's unexpected. But, I am growing weary of the constant hand out hand up, mentality that's taken over in so many stores and service industries. I'm running out of grease for all those palms.

Maybe a better solution would be for employers to increase wages. I know that would also increase prices...but, it would increase the price of having the tires rotated for everyone... not just those of us who feel obligated to put a few bucks in the tip jar.

Please feel free to call me out on this if you think I'm being unfair.

12 comments:

Chandi said...

hear hear!!!! I have noticed many a tip jar before that has caused my eyebrow to lift in wonder. I wonder if I could put out a tip jar on my front porch. Being a mother is hard work. Don't I deserve tips. I think I will try it for a month and see how it goes.

Kay said...

Actually, one of the things we loved most about Japan during our trip was that you were NOT required to give tips. It was totally not expected. Love, loved it.

Mare said...

I totally agree with you. It's kind of forward and presumptuous[sp?]. The only place that I add to that tip jar is at a local ice cream stand that hires the kids from the district that I taught in, and it's labeled 'college fund'. Since I know those kids, and they are going to college, I readily contribute the change to their education. Other than that, no way, Jose. It's their job.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I absolutely agree. I have been annoyed by the same thing. Why should customers pay extra for employees to do the jobs they were hired for?

Maybe I have really missed the boat. What would have happened if I'd had a tip jar on my teacher desk?

Linda Reeder said...

Let me say first of all, that you are so generous that I feel ashamed in comparison.
Then I want to agree with you about tipping in general. Wages should be adequate and tips should be extra, for good service. In Europe the common tip is to round up on your tab - a token, not a percentage.
But when we took river cruises this year, the expectation was $10 per person per day for staff. We didn't do it. We asked for and got nothing but basic services and the cruises were very expensive. Pay the staff up front and quit trying to take advantage of "rich" Americans.

Deborah Godin said...

I've always wondered who decides which jobs are tip-worthy and which aren't. And I agree it seems like it's really getting out of hand (pun unavoidable!). Maybe we should carry a jar when we shop and ask for a tip for being a customer, for giving them OUR business! The other day I had to call a cab to go pick up my car at the shop, and the fare was $9. I gave him $10 and he looked at me and said, "It was only 9." I said, "I know I tipped you." That sure was a first!

p.s. Thanks for your visit and comment.

Great Grandma Lin said...

Well, I'm one who tips very little. But have started with my hair dresser and of course in restaurants. But I wasn't happy when it went from 10% to 15%. Guess I'm a tightwad. I remember working as a A&W carhop and getting $1/hr plus tips which were little. Of course, that was back in 1959...a looong time ago.

SandyCarlson said...

I HEAR YOU! Wow. I am a generous tipper, too. Crazy generous. I used to wait tables, and I understand how hard a person has to hustle to keep hungry people happy.

I am tired of the tip jars everywhere, also. They make me feel kind of taken.

Anonymous said...

In most cases, I think the wages are already fair, but people are asking for tips anyway, just because. It's a mentality that people have nowadays, that they deserve a handout.

Anonymous said...

When I was pet-sitting, I always appreciated tips...but never expected them.

I like to tip when I think people deserve it, but I can't afford to be as generous as you. Tip jars don't bother me, I have no trouble ignoring them.

Jean said...

I love the many generous ways you've found to help people and must start doing more of the same. In China it's insulting to offer anyone a tip. If you tip a cab driver, he hands it back to you.

Rambling Woods said...

The wages should be enough..I wonder if I put out a tip jar near the washing machine if hubby would tip...Loved this as usual Caryn