Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"If Only", "I Wish" and other forms of make believe...

My mother passed away 15 years ago this month. The fourth of July, actually. I remember thinking that night as we watched the fireworks explode into splinters of light in the sky, how quietly she had died. The life went out of her as smoothly as a lamp ceases to burn when the oil is gone.

She has not left my heart nor my memory that easily. And I don't want her to. So often, as I walk through the day I think, "If only mom was here to see this". "I wish mom was here to talk to about this." "If only mom could have heard that story. She'd have laughed herself into mild hysteria." "I wish...." "If only...."

I wonder what she's doing? It's certainly not hard to envision her as an angel. I never saw her as anything other than that. She was always, each and every minute of every day she breathed, doing something for somebody. But, she can't be baking pies to take to the sick. She can't be writing letters to lonely widows. She can't be crocheting little dolls to give to the "mentally underdeveloped" Not if there's a heaven. Because if there is, she is definitely in it. But the sick, lonely, and handicapped will not be. So what is she doing?

Oh yeah... that could be one of the reasons that Iris grew were I planted Columbine, and Day Lilies are where the Sweet Peas are supposed to be climbing. She's been in the yard switching bulbs and re-arranging my flower beds just so she can giggle watching me scratch my head and wonder, "What in the heck happened?". That sounds like something she'd be doing. She's probably putting a fat leaf over random solar lights just so she can clap her hands and tee hee while we try to figure out why one of them just won't shine for no apparent reason. She must be the phantom friend we see the dog playing with in the yard from time to time. Yup! She must be around enjoying life at the Hollow with us. At least, I like to make believe.....

8 comments:

Jo, a retired teacher said...

What wonderful ideas you have about your mother.

You could be right, you know.

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow two surprises in a row and two blogs in a row from my favorite blogger..way to go. love your sentiments about your mom, now i understand you better as you are like her. i feel that our loved ones watch over us and some are more constant in their watching and guard over us thus they are called guardian angels just like our friends can be for us also. how about a photo of your mom or you and your mom together-would love to see one.

Linda Reeder said...

What beautiful writing!

Rambling Woods said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mother and so well written as usual. I want your writing ability..

dellgirl said...

This is beautiful. I can almost picture you and your mother together. Yes it is good to make believe sometimes.I think it helps us nurture our inner-child.

Kay said...

This is such a beautifully written tribute to your mom. She's smiling at you right now and sending lots of hugs.

Chandi said...

Grammy was on my mind not too long ago. I was wishing that I had known her better. I was wishing that I had someone like her in my life right now. I was wishing that she was around to teach me all kinds of things. I still have the Book of Mormon she gave me when I turned 8 with her words and testimony inside. I love to read it. I wish I had more of her writings. Do you have any I can copy?

Jade said...

I love the thought of our loved ones sharing in our lives here. I think your Mom would love this post. I miss her too. I am so fortunate to have someone like her in my life, she taught you well, thanks Caryn. Love ya, Trina