Thursday, July 31, 2008

Steppin Up to 12 Step

There was a time when I just thought I liked using them... I was pretty sure I could give them up if I really found a reason too. Those days are a memory, now. I've decided I have an addiction to them! I use at the VERY least...a dozen a day. I know there are better things to use. There are things that will last longer, be more beneficial both to me and to the environment, and be far more cost efficient. I know it intellectually. But, I just can't seem to kick the paper towel habit.

I keep them in the kitchen, the bathroom, my potting shed, the laundry room, the garage, and all of the cars. I use them to wipe up the sink and counter tops, to polish and spit shine the appliances, fixtures and my shoes. I wrap up orange peels, apple cores and egg shells before I dump them in the compost crock. I use them to dry my hair, lay sweaters and other finery on to soak up excess water, and to dry dishes, my hands and fresh fruits and vegetables brought in from the garden. I use them underneath cooling racks full of cookies to catch crumbs, on the bottom of the microwave to keep "yuk" from dripping in it, and to clean the car, four wheeler, patio furniture, and barbecue. I could go on, but you get the drift. My only contribution to the "Green" movement is to dry used ones for starting fires in the firepit in the summer months, or the fireplace in the winter. I have plenty of rags and wash cloths. They're pristine. Well, as pristine as a rag can be.

I have a wierd type of love affair going with the Brawny paper towel man, and I can't seem to bring myself to call if off.

Do I need marriage counseling? Would a 12 step program help? Should I just remind my husband how fortunate he is that the only man he shares my interest with is a bodiless, cellophane, mini man? I could nearly afford a new pair of flip flips with what I spend on paper towels in a month. Do I need to wean myself off of them with "Handi Wipes", or just go cold turkey?

If you have the inclination to advise or chastise, feel free to do so. I'm beginning to feel like I'm killing as many trees as the bark beetle and quickly becoming a one woman deforrestation nightmare. helllllpp!

9 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

just be thankful that's all you are addicted too....i thought you had a serious problem-it's just serious guilt so either do something or stop worrying. :-)

wispy willow said...

I think I'll stop worrying.

wispy willow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mare said...

You are too funny! That was very clever! You had me thinking you were talking about smoking.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I agree with Mare, that was very clever.

I'm afraid I love paper towels too and use them in most of the same ways you do, but I never use any kind but Viva. I have a required brand of toilet tissue too. Some things are more important than others.

Kay said...

I'm starting to use cloth napkins to help save trees but my son in law says when I was the napkins, don't I use energy to clean them as well as water? Don't I add detergent to the water? Oh sheesh. My mother was washing the paper towels to use them again. OK never mind...

Rambling Woods said...

I was a little scared when I started the post. LOL. Great read with my coffee..oh dear..I could use a program to quit drinking coffee. Maybe we could form an on-line 12 step as I use paper towels too. There are some things I don't want to put into my washing machine that I can just throw out..Michelle

Carrie and Shane said...

I think it's funny that we both have posts about addictions, although yours much more practical and useful than mine. By the way, you are not an old lady, and yes you should read Twilight. (just beware, she's more of a story-teller than a sophisticated writer like you.)

Jocelyn Christensen said...

a crush on the Brauny man? Who doesn't???