Thursday, July 17, 2008

You want me to do WHAT, again???

Okay... Here's the scoop! I'm old, well... not ready for the compost pile ripe with age, but probably a little past prime for a good salad bar. But, I have a pretty good energy level for a fading diva. I may not be the hummingbird I used to be...but being someone, and being around someone, who flits from one project to another like that can get annoying anyway, so I'm okay with slowing down somewhat.

I digress... as I was saying, I'm in pretty good shape for someone who eats too many sweets, has a semi-sedentary job, and comes from a long line of chubby people.

I like to work around the property at the Hollow. I plant and transplant and weed and mow and change the water lines. Not a problem. The grandkids come to visit and I run from one end of our four acres to the other playing games with them. When we camp, and I love to camp... I go on the river runs, the hikes, and make an attempt at frisbee golf. I'm lousy at it, but I'm a good sport.

BUT... when Wayne came home and told me he wanted me to accompany him on a 45 mile UPHILL trek wearing pioneer garb in the middle of July, I thought he was was suffering from mild heatstroke. He continued to show me pictures of the area he wanted me to climb. There were a dozen rocky ridges that rose suddenly to the heavens at angles that were totally perpendicular to the earth. I could barely stuff my laughter at how preposterous it all seemed to me. THEN, he proceeded to tell me that he wanted me to pull a loaded handcart up one of those ridges...WITHOUT his superman strength to help me. WHAT!!!??? I figure if God had wanted me to climb those rocks, He'd have laid them flat.

And THEN... to frost this little cup cake of information just perfectly, he told me I'd only be allowed three potty stops, at assigned destinations, daily. ha ha ha ha ha aahhhhh... ha ha ha.

So, he packed his little sack with some granola bars, extra clean socks, and a pair of suspenders and left for his "adventure" without me.

He came home and regaled me with stories about what a good time he had. How proud he was of the hale and hardy women who pulled and pushed those handcarts over that blasted pile of stones. He almost choked up when he shared the fellowship he felt with the group of modern day "pioneers" that he walked, ooffed and sweated beside, sang with, and shared victuals with on the journey.

Dang! I could have done it.

So whaddaya think? Was I being stubborn? A weak kneed fraidy cat? Practical, insightful, and oh so wise? And what difference does it make now anyway? He went. I didn't. The opportunity has passed. He still likes me. I still like me. But a part of me really wishes I'd have grabed my apron and sunbonnet and made the trek. I wonder why we sometimes let apprehensions, some serious - some silly, talk us out of building a memory.

7 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

well i laughed all the way through this-knowing you and knowing wayne...hmm. i think you made the right decision and it was a good experience for wayne because he went alone and socialized more that doesn't mean you are a wimp working fulltime and caring for your place while he was out having fun. there are many different kinds of pioneers so i wouldn't waste too much time worrying or regretting what could have been.

the three potty stops would have stopped me without the uphill pushing handcarts part. are they trying to tell us pioneers came 1000 miles across the plains all of it uphill? come on...so just relax, take a deep breath and smile knowingly when your hubby makes any more snide remarks and say i was happy i could support in making your trek dear!
: - )

Rambling Woods said...

That's nutz! I let my husband do any all (G rated)physical activity that he wants without me. Besides didn't pioneer people die around the age of 40?...good yarn as usual Caryn..

Chandi said...

My first thought was similar to Lin's. I think it's good for Dad to go alone on something like this. You are so talkative and outgoing that sometimes he just keeps quiet and lets you do all the talking.

It probably was a great experience and I'm sure everyone who does this trek comes away with a huge dose of admiration and respect for the early pioneers. I on the one hand will get my respect and admiration in other ways. I have no desire to walk the pioneer trek in Joly of all months, wearing a long skirt and a bonnet pushing a handcart. I don't even like to pull my kids around the block in a wagon wearing shorts in July.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I agree that you were wise to pass that up. The memories you made might not have been all that......fun.

I've always thought I would have made a lousy pioneer. Those women had to be strong as well as tough. I think I'm pretty tough, but certainly not very strong. And, as Michelle pointed out, we might have been dead from hardship by now anyway, way too old for scampering over boulders.

Mare said...

Wow,very funny read!I couldn't have done it...not good with portapotties. Even when I was in my 30's [and didn't have RA}I waited 45 minutes [at an outdoor summertime Moody Blues concert]and when it was finally my turn, I couldn't go!! I had held it for so long, and I knew that there was a huge line waiting for me to be done! I had to exit without going!!How frustrating was that?? VERY!!

Rambling Woods said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rambling Woods said...

My relatives must have gotten tired of dragging the hand cart and stopped in New York. Now there is a bunch of wimps..

But there is a huge family reunion about 2 hours from here near the original family farm..I loved that farm as a kid. A city kid and cows, what could be better...I digress..