Friday, July 18, 2008

Cock-a-doodle-days


Three things to know:

1: I am a realtor
2: I love perinnial gardening and have some lovely flowers beds
3: We are the proud caretakers of a rooster and five hens

I tell you these things so that I can try to make a point which SHOULD tie them together if you have the patience to stay with me for a minute.

1: Can I just tell you what a frustrating time this is to be in Real Estate? I quite like my job. It's always a good thing to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem. Realtors help to solve problems. We build foudations under dreams. But, there are so many variables in my work. There are always half a dozen contingencies in a contract that can blow it up at any moment. So... my days are spent walking down the fairway, being disappoionted at losing money when a carnie cheats me, consoling myself with a sweet treat from the concession stand, and being on a constant roller coaster ride, with all it's ups and downs, twists and turns, and the ever present fear we could possibly derail.

2: My flower gardens bring me such pleasure! I like nurturing them and taking them from infancy to beautiful, blossoming adulthood. They are always gorgeous. But, when I know we're expecting company, I find myself wishing for the Asiatic Lilies to hold on for just a few more days. I beg the clematis to open quickly so thier breathtaking blooms will be on full display for our guests. My flowers are in a constant state of flux. Always lovely, true. But, I can't count on the hydrangeas, pansies, or foxglove to flaunt themselves on cue.

3: Our rooster, however, is a never changing constant on our land and in our lives. He can be relied on to herd the hens out of the coop in the morning. He always, always, always leads them back in at dusk. He wakes us every morning with his cock-a-doodle-doo, and keeps the "music" playing throughout every day. He has since the first night he spent here, and I know he always will.

I so often long for days like my rooster. Days that will not disappoint me, surprise me, catch me with my perverable drawers around my ankles. That sounds so restful....for about a minute and a half. What would a life be like that? No changes. Nothing to catch us offguard and force us to be creative and stretch our minds. It would be a vegetative state.

So, I have forsaken my dreams of cock-a-doodle-days. I think I'll buy a roll of tickets for the roller coaster, grab a cone of cotton candy and enjoy the butterflies, thrills, and let downs that are a part of living a carnival existance. When I grow weary of the clatter and confusion of the Fairway... I'll stroll through my gardens, lap up every ounce of newness and let myself be warmly surprised by what I find has given birth since my last visit.

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

ha ha ha, enjoyed this post and the rooster days, the roller coaster rides of real estate, and the flauting flowers-lots of images there and you tied them all together you gifted writer you....thanks for blurb.com where you can put together a book-there's probably a cheaper way to do it but this would work for beginners. life is meant to be full of serendipity-surprises, the test is our attitude in accepting what comes....have a fun day my dear friend.

Rambling Woods said...

I don't know how predictable the rooster's day is. Doesn't he have to protect his hens, settle disputes,and keep them all "happy"? It sounds like a pretty busy day to me. Now, would you rather be a hen or a rooster.

Kay said...

I found this posting very, very interesting to read. I'm quite torn between the rooster and the roller coaster ride. Granted in Hawaii, I don't have an image of the rooster having an easy life. The Fiplipino men here used to have the rooster in chicken fights when I was growing up.

What am I doing? Going off on a tangent. OK... Back again.

You're right, Caryn. It's better to have a life where you strive and win even though sometimes, there is that possibility that you could lose.

Linda Reeder said...

Great post!
Let's take this analogy a bit farther. The rooster is a control freak, always crowing his commands. But as Kay noticed, not even he can always control his fate. He's really only safe if he stays in the barn yard.
Now the carnival looks like it has no control, but even the roller coaster, with its highs and lows, still stays on the track.
I suspect that you wouldn't enjoy your garden as much if you were with it all of the time, instead of having it as a respite from the carnival. You obviously have too much love of life to stay in the barnyard!

Carrie and Shane said...

My goodness, I've been gone for a week and a half and I've missed so much! I just love the way you paint pictures with your words. I read your posts and my imagination goes wild. Thanks for all your wonderful thoughts, It makes for a nice escape.

dellgirl said...

Hi and how are you today? This post is like a cool drink of water in a desert oasis. I stopped by for a quick "hi friend, I stopped for a short visit" - until I read this. As usual, I found myself walking the garden with you, enjoying the beauty of whatever blooms happened to be present, and to wait for the next cock-a-doodle-doo. This calmed my senses to the point of not wanting to leave.

I love the way your words make me a part of the moment!