Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tangled Lilies, Intertwined Souls


I am constantly amazed at the ever changing beauty of our flower gardens this year. The delpheniums have been magnificent! The daisies, vibrant and full. The verbascum has seemed almost magical in it's old fashioned daintiness.

We have a few solar powered spotlights that we place in the garden here and there to allow us to see the blooms after nightfall. We live in the country, so it get's quite dark around 10:00 p.m. The only light is from the stars and the few lanterns on the pathway or under the cluster of Oaks.

Last night, I walked out onto the patio to sit in the Adirondack rocker our daughter gave us for Christmas and soak in the serenity. I noticed a tangle of lilies reflected in the soft, solar, light. There were several plants with varied shades from pale pink , to a tender magenta hue, that had been planted in what is known as "square foot gardening". The blooms had interspersed with one another and the effect was almost startling in the dark with one small spotlight shining only on them. They seemed to blend together effortlessly, yet each blossom highlighted another with it's contrast in form and color. Each individual flower was the more striking in the companionship of the others. And each flower seemed to be pointing to another as if to say, "Look at my friend. Isn't she beautiful?" And I was in awe.

As I sat there, the friendship between women came to mind. I thought of Lin. I reflected on how she draws people close to her, let's her mind and soul mingle with theirs. I thought of the other colorful women who's thoughts she has helped plant close to mine, and the way our souls have entertwined. Our ideas seem to blend so effortlessly as we share in one another's lives. I was struck with how each new friendship has highlighted another with the contrast's between us. We have been formed and colored by differing cultural upbringing and life experiences. As I pondered, I became aware of how each individual has become more striking, more stunning because of our differences, and in the companionship of one another. And then I realized how often Lin has pointed to one among us and said, "Look at my friend. Isn't she beautiful?" And I again, I was in awe.

How blessed I am. I have gardens of flowers with tangled lilies , and gardens of friends with intertwined souls.

7 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow what a wonderful surprise...my poet bff is back. thanks for your kind words but you left out how the warmth of your friendship and creativity helps me to grow and want to share with others as i've seen you reach out so often to perfect strangers and make them your friend forever by your interest and caring in their lives and their problems. that's truly a talent my dear friend. and now you are letting your words flow out again to touch the souls of your family and friends far and near who love you. lin

Rambling Woods said...

It is so touching watching the open expressions of love Lin and Caryn have for each other It's amazing how woman can be in contact via the internet. Thank you for your two reaching out and including others like me. I wish I had the words to express it.

Linda Reeder said...

Wow. This is beautiful writing, expressing beautiful thoughts.

dellgirl said...

Add me to the list of those who are thankful to Lin and grateful for her caring soul. If not for her, Kay, and Jo I would be a lone stranger twisting in the wind of this blogging journey of mine. Lin is faithful and true. She never wavers. You can always count on her even at her busiest and trying times she reaches out.

dellgirl said...

Oh shoot! Got so carried away thinking about Lin I didn't tell you what I came here for, thanks for visiting and for commenting on my page.

I have been to yours before but was so discombulated and technologically messed up at the time I did not leave a comment. I love your space. That poem is so so beautiful. It just flows like water down a waterfall. I will return.

Kay said...

Oh Wow Mom/Caryn, this is just beautiful. I could just picture your magical garden. I could almost smell the scent of the flowers. Thank you for the serenity. Friendship is a very wonderful special treasure. I'm so grateful to have you all out there.

Unknown said...

Ok, ok did you write this blog just for us? Your punishing us for still not coming to visit aren't you? I want to experience this awesome beauty you talk about. It's sounds so relaxing. I'm just blog surfing right now, something I don't always have alot of time to do these days, telling my hubby what a amazing Aunt he has. I ENJOY reading your blog! It always brings a longing to my heart to have a girls night and get to know you more! Let's do that, or better yet maybe someday we could plan a trip to your place. Pogo and Nala can play together while we enjoy the gardens! How do you like me inviting ourselves? ha ha Love ya!