Wednesday, February 4, 2009

No Rhyme or Reason

What is it that makes us so susceptable to tears sometimes, anyway? Do you know what I'm talking about? Days when for no reason you can claim, the tears just puddle in your eyes waiting to spill down your cheeks. At times like those I find myself searching for things to help me release those tears. Sad movies, sad poems... It's ridiculous the way I'll dredge up past slights and try to recall how they made me hurt. I'll imagine all sorts of worse case scenarios of what may happen to my children, of what it will feel like to lose my husband... I get desperate to cry and unload whatever is making me feel so weepy. I've even experienced getting almost angry when a positive thought creeps in because I'm not quite finished with being miserable yet. I wonder if they have pills for that?

On some days, I've been known to walk in the door after a stressful day not wanting any contact with another human life form. I certainly don't want to make dinner or take the clothes out of the dryer, or invent something sunny to say in response to, "Hey! How'd the day go?". I don't want to speak at all unless I can think of something dripping with sarcasm to say. And so I act as if I haven't been walking the earth for more than sixty years, and behave like a spoiled toddler.

There is no sensical explanation for any of this. My emotions just start to run amuk and all I can do is apologize profusely when I finally pull myself together and get a grip on sanity. Wayne's usually outside puttering, or inside watching a ballgame, and just leaves me to work through whatever crossed circuit has caused the temporary blackout of reason.

I don't imagine understanding why these episodes occur would stop them from occuring. But, maybe. I do know that they have been very rare these last two or three years. Eegads! Could it be that my menopausal days are at long last coming to an end? Now, that would be just cause for throwing confetti from the rooftop!

9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Oh, yeah, been there, done that! I don't have any answers other than to say, I do understand. It's always good to put the thoughts, feelings, down in words on paper, blog site, whatever. I hold good thoughts for your tomorrow.

Linda Reeder said...

Menopause is one part of it. Being human is the other. As far as I know, no one is happy all of the time. It makes us appreciate the good days even more.

SandyCarlson said...

You speak for my heart with this one. I have been feeling this way for the past few days. And while I know there is no "reason" for it, it is every bit as real for me as the sun in the sky. I find that silence and a bit of wandering get me through it. Better that than saying something wrong. Perhaps this is the same thought process that causes me to shut down my computer and start it up again after a few minutes when it seems to be erratic! (There is wisdom, even technological wisdom, in giving ourselves a rest, releasing those feelings, and letting them be? I hope so.) Wishing you peace!

Mare said...

Great Scott! Thank goodness that it is not a constant state of being. I wish for you...is a bout of uncontrollable laughter!!!

Great Grandma Lin said...

I'm throwing confetti because my BFF has blogged for 3 days in a row. HURRAH!!! I would suggest my dear friend-writing your heart out to see what is causing you to want to be sad...then start a gratitude journal to celebrate and enjoy your life each day. Who has time for sadness-get it out, analyze it and let it go. Don't hunt for it, it will find you...

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I understand completely. Somedays even sappy commercials bring tears. I don't find myself as snippy as I was in my youth, but I can still work up a snit if I need to. I blame it all on hormones.

Rambling Woods said...

I am still dealing with the "M" word. But I seem to be getting more reflective and more sensitive as I get older. I have time to reflect and to ponder and I get teary. Or someone will do something thoughtful and I am so touched that I tear up. I think that I have become a marshmallow....Thanks for posting this, I have been feeling this way all day...Michelle..

Jean said...

I hear you! I commiserate, too. Been there, done that. Still do at time, in fact. Wish I didn't, but can't help it.

dellgirl said...

You're right - no rhyme or reason. It just is. I thought it was only me. However, I try hard to get out of the feeling, as soon as I can. No answers here, just a fellow traveler along that highway.