Friday, February 6, 2009

Eenie, Meenie, Mynie, Mo


Can you guess which one of the panoply of items I grabbed off the counter and took advantage of having available to me? It was a tough choice.

If you guessed the Pilates tape, you're dillusional. If you quessed the measuring tape, you obviously haven't seen my backside. I'd need more than a measuring tape to determine size.

If you guessed the do-nut slathered with whipped cream and sliced strawberries...
Bingo!! Well... I did make a New Year's resolution to treat myself well this year, afterall.

Have you heard these familiar platitudes that have been passed around every self help seminar in the last decade?

1. "Half of knowing what you want is knowing what you have to give up to get it."
2. "The biggest cause of unhappiness and failure is giving up what we want the most for what we want at the moment."
They're old and over used, but they're good... and absolutely true.

What I want the most is to wear some "stylin" size eight capri's this summer. What I wanted at the moment was that tempting, and mighty tasty chocolate covered pastry. I threw my visions of wearing cute size eight pants this summer out with the empty do-nut bag. Ahhhh well. I shall get myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again. I am such a fan of second chances... and third, and fourth, and seventeenth. Some things need forever and always, til death will I stick with it, diligence. My attention span appears to be too short for most of those things.

But, I am finding that life is as delicious as my do-nut at any size. A little harder to navigate perhaps... but scrumcilicious just the same. I am however, snacking on fresh orange slices and rice cakes the rest of the week.

15 comments:

dellgirl said...

Very funny, Caryn. You have me laughing out loud in this room all by myself (at this hour of the night). I'm with you though, I'll take a donut over those other things any day. Then I'll do as you did, make up for it by not eating any more the rest of the week. I'm getting much better, I can now eat one sweet instead of three or five or the whole package. That's real progress for me.

Mare said...

I guessed correctly, too. I didn't even see the donut at first, and then some serious laughing happened. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Great Grandma Lin said...

I guessed right...but consider if maybe you are shortening the time you get to stay around. I think health reasons are more important than the size 5 capris...write about it my dear. Ask yourself as you start to eat the donut-will I enjoy this more than being healthier then eat if you can...GIANT GUILT TRIP, but you gotta start somewhere. STOP buying donuts-don't tempt yourself, why are you eating-lonely, tired, etc. See Julia Cameron's book in my post http://lettersfromlin.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-book-im-reading.html

Great Grandma Lin said...

ps I'll love you BFF whatever size you are but only you can control that...

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Bob Greene (Oprah's doctor of choice) says that everyone overeats because of some underlying reason or to fill an emotional hole. I say "Poppycock, balderdash, pishaw!" Sometimes we just like the way things taste. I'm betting no one you know cares about whether or not you wear size 4, 6, 8, 10 or whatever capris. Just throw in an extra veggie now and then; all things in moderation.

Jean said...

I no longer envision myself as a size 8 again some day. But a size 10: that's what I'm aiming for. It's slow progress, though, given that I, too, choose the donut way too often. Oh, to have the metabolism I had in my twenties and thirties!

Rambling Woods said...

I have to take some weight off..sigh. I am so much more tired than usual..but it has to be done if I want to stick around for a while...Thanks for the laugh...

Deborah Godin said...

You've got that right - find the balance between the chocolate and rice cakes of life!

SandyCarlson said...

I have a friend who tells me, "If you're going to put on weight, do it eating good ice cream. Don't cheat yourself." He is so right. I find when I crave something, I get the best and savor it and then it passes. I can't afford to do that too much, so it works. Eat with intention, Brian says.

I enjoyed this post very much. And

The Keel Gang said...

I have not commented on so many of your amazing posts lately merely because I cannot compete with your elegance of perfection of words. I love how you put everything into the exact perspective so many of us see with our own eyes. I love this post!!! My therapist said something (and I'm sure I'll get it totally wrong) like, "Making your own choices doesn't mean you have to always make the right one, it simply means you understand what the consequences are and you are in control of which choice you choose." It made me feel that even if I chose the donut instead of the fruit, that it was my choice and just being in control was a good step. But, this may not apply to anyone else because it's barely making sense to me, hahahaha. Love you Caryn! You are priceless!

Linda Reeder said...

Great post, and interesting follow up comments. I like your quotes, and especially what the therapist said in THE KEEL GANG's comment. We do get to make our own choices, and we can forgive ourselves when we make the not so good for us choice.

Sylvia K said...

Great post Caryn! Couldn't agree more. Weight's not my problem, but eating fun stuff can surely mess with the blood sugar so I have to pay attention -- what a pain! I'd rather sneak something yummy when no one is looking! Alternate the donuts with the rice cakes and thumb your nose at the rest!

Anonymous said...

I've stopped caring so much about my size and think more about my health now too. My parents have such high cholesterol and blood pressure, and I feel I'm doomed to the same path if I'm not careful. I like your idea of second chances. Very positive.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Okay Girl, You made me LOL!!!! With teeth! I just love your humour.... and your choices! Forget the tape measure for sure.

Size 8's never really mattered to me, but I admit I would love to have less of that 'muffin top' happening around my middle come summer.....

But it's so much harder when the muffin (with chocolate chips) is sitting there in front of you...

Sure loved that advise Sandy's friend gave her: "If you're going to put on weight, do it eating good ice cream. Don't cheat yourself."

I've found that if you eating the 'good stuff', you actually end up eating less of it, because it satisfies sooner. And a smaller portion, savoured slowly also satisfies more.

It would appear that my 'More is less' theme is breaking out all over today....(see my posting on seashells)

Kay said...

That's what I would have picked! You have such a zest for life and living!