Saturday, October 11, 2008

Through a Wider Lens

The most important thing we can give, or recieve, is not an expanded view of the Universe... but, an expanded view of ourselves.

I made a comment on a blog tonight about what fun it was to "expand our universe". It got me to thinking. It's completely true. Travel that stretches your capacity for appreciation of new foods, different cultures, and changing climates is precious. Reading and digging the depths of another person's attitudes and insights is almost immeasurable in it's value in increasing our compassion, our ability to be useful to others.

But, what use is any of it unless we believe that we can take the knowledge we've gained in our hands and forge a better life for ourselves and those who have entered our sphere of influence. We need to know that WE can make a difference. We need to know that we can uplift, encourage, comfort, inspire, entertain, or carry a wounded soul on our shoulders. We need to learn to recognize and credit our own place...our own purpose.

I've met a few people who have expanded my view of Caryn. They believed in me. They saw me as something better than I was and would settle for my being nothing less than the best that they saw in me. My children Dustin, Dallin, Chandelar and Cordell are such people. They have elevated their opinion of me, and have elevated my behavior in doing so. Lin, my sister-in-law Trina, my mother and dad, and my Aunt Shirley have made me look at myself through a wider lens. And my friends, Patti, Floris, Verl, Terry, Doug, Fred, and Kristi to name a few more. And, of course, my best friend, my champion, my hero Wayne. He's expected me to be smarter, more competent, more in tune with Heavenly Beings than I ever thought possible. And because I love him, because each name mentioned on this page is someone precious to me, I didn't want to let them down. It became necessary for me to find a mental magnifying glass... to see myself as a larger image... to expand my view of me. What a priceless gift they have given me. I may never be what they think I am... but, I will draw closer every day. Because they believed, they helped me to believe. And belief is really the spring board that enables us to swim in sweeter, clearer, deeper waters.

9 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Ah, the gifts we give each other by our belief that there exists within each of us the beautiful and better. I love the encouragement.

I have a friend who put forth the idea that our blogs represent our best selves and that the responses we receive reflect the belief of others in our better selves. I think that's true. Very true.

Great Grandma Lin said...

another thoughtful blog from my BFF Caryn. nothing wrong with developing our better selves especially in this world where there is so much negativity. I think you are talking about faith also and purpose in our lives. Faith that there is a plan for each of us, that a high being-our Heavenly Father is in charge and looks over all of us, that angels are available to protect and guide our daily walks here, that there is something to be learned from each experience even the so called negative ones. love being your friend...

Jo, a retired teacher said...

What a thoughtful, lovely post. More people need to think like you do. Thank you.

Mare said...

Wow! That was very insightful! I think we have different influences to/with different people[depending upon the relationships], and thank goodness. Angels among us, always.
Thank you so much for the moral support that you are sending my way.

Rambling Woods said...

Caryn..I think you should write a book or at the very least use Blurb or some of those programs and make a book of your blog and give it to your family. There are some people who just have a way of making us feel better about ourselves by giving encouragement and praise in a very selfless manner. You are one of those people and anyone in your sphere of influence is very lucky..

dellgirl said...

This is such a lovely thoughtful tribute to those you love and who love you. I agree, you should write a book - your posts are inspiring. You make words into pictures and you bring a higher meaning to ordinary things in a way most of never think of. I learn so much by simply reading your blog. Hopefully one day soon, I can put into practice some of what I've learned from you.Thanks for the beautiful BD wishes.

Marites said...

you are so right about that. we need to expand our views to better ourselves. That way, we know that our life has purpose.

Susan said...

I've had a couple of days of a friend who's in a snit because she doesn't think one kid earned his Duty to God award and her son only needed to finish reading a book. My expanded view through all this hoopla is that there is more to live than an award,,,,more than a program which we LDS seem so intent on having,,,,more than just this season. But we are supposed to do things here and see things here which will expand our views right into eternity.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Hi Caryn -- Love the spelling of your name!

Thanks for popping by my site for visit...I sure appreciated receiving your comments. There must be a thread or two of 'kindred spirit' connecting us!

I enjoyed your thoughts on this posting....especially the part that says, "But, what use is any of it unless we believe that we can take the knowledge we've gained in our hands and forge a better life for ourselves and those who have entered our sphere of influence."

I'm always looking for experiences and knowledge that will help me know myself better, so that I can in turn make choices that make my life, home, and corner of the world a more beautiful place....

Grace and joy,
Brenda