Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Where are the clones?

Do you ever have those times when you honest to gosh wish you could divide yourself into about six different people? One to tidy up the house, one to can some fruit, one to get a little cardio vascular exercise, one to show clients around the county for hours, one to write some entertaining and profound words for your posterity, and one to take a loooong shower and use up all the hot water? I've had several days where I feel like some kind of wind up hummingbird flitting from one project or obligation to another. Almost makes me want to believe in cloning.

What do you think? If you pushed your clone off the top of a skyscraper, woud it be: a)murder; b)suicide: c)making an obscene clone fall? Just wondering...

I digress. My pal, Lin seems to thrive on having a zillion things to do. I'm learning to like a slower pace. I'm really beginning to guard my time with ferocity. I just don't seem to be as willing to serve on committees and volunteer for as many town functions as I used to. I want more time to spend wandering the aisles of my own mind. I've become a fan of puttering, frittering, trifling, dallying, and dawdling.

Some days, I find the interruptions of making beds, doing the laundry, putting up peaches, taking clients from one home to another, shopping for groceries, etc to be an enormous infringement on my time. But, it all needs to be done. Someone bring in the clones.

9 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

yes, yes, yes! I love the line "wandering the ailes of my mind"! That's what I like to do best, besides reading or listening to or watching something that stimulates my mind.
I find that I have to guard against slowing down too much, because then it's hard to get going again. Right this minute I'm fighting physical lethargy to get up and get busy. My mind, however, is very happy mulling over the lastest Newsweek articles.

Linda Reeder said...

Hm-m-m. Interesting typos in that last comment of mine. Maybe my mind needs a break.

Great Grandma Lin said...

well this is Lin...I carefully choose what I want to be involved in and have gotten very good at saying "no" to extra projects I don't want to pursue. I also take a 2 hr. nap every afternoon to get energy to make it through the second half of my day. so I am not the energizer bunny. I'm focused on writing and teaching about writing plus genealogy with family visits being very important. And communicating with friends like you necessary for my well being. Thanks for being there.

Mare said...

I want to spend time wandering the aisles of my mind. I love, love, love the way you put that!
And 'send in the clones!' Can I steal that phrase?
I do 'selective abandonment' on a regular basis. Pick a couple of things to let go for a bit.
Life is short.

Chandi said...

Hee hee hee HA ha ha ha....... you're funny! There are days that I would certainly sign up for that. Atleast if I got to be in charge of all the clones. What if they started taking things over? What if they became evil like you see in movies. Well, maybe YOU don't see in movies, but I have seen in movies. Hmmmmmmmm...

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Caryn, that "obscene clone fall" made me laugh out loud...here all by myself. If you made that up, I am in even greater awe of your wit.

Rambling Woods said...

My clone should be a healthy clone to do all the things I dream of doing. My clone would be a very outspoken person who manages to get to know people standing in line at a grocery store. The clone would have to cuss at bit, laugh a lot and gee, could I have one that could can? I would like to learn how to quilt too. I spend much too time in the aisles of my mind.

I read an article that explains that when a woman's brain experiences a decrease in estrogen that it causes some drop in our maternal feelings so that we can let go of our children. We also become more introspective. So it's Mother Nature too girls...

dellgirl said...

I'm more inclined to "like a slower pace" also. I work very hard to "guard my time" as others (family in particular) have had a monopoly on it for so long. Back then, I gave it willingly. But now I want most of it for myself. Selfish? Maybe, but that's just how it is. The kids are good at respecting that, good for them.

SandyCarlson said...

Ah, yes, send in the clones--and have one of them bring along a pot of coffee. I am finding that things that were once important as all get out are utterly unimportant the busier I get with my job. And that's a cool thing. Because the tasks themselves are assuming their rightful place at the bottom of the list.

If there are no clones, I'll take a Merry Maid, all the same!