Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What's it all about, Alfie?

Life isn't about waiting
for the storm to pass.
It's about learning to
Dance in the Rain!

Chandi and I have had some glorious rain
to dance in these past few days. It fell from
the skies in monsoon amounts last Saturday.
We had a great time casually strolling through
parking lots and laughing at our hair getting
frizzie as we did the shopping that needed to
be done, and made our way to the theater.

It came in torrents from the mouth and legs of her
three year old in the form of terrible two's tantrums.
We again continued on with the things that needed
to be accomplished as if there were no storm raging
nearby.

She amazes me in her ability to patiently love and
teach no matter what thunder claps and lightening
strikes. She dances and sings distracting her
distraught little one until the sunshine creeps back
into the landscape of his sweet face, and his rainy mood
disappears.

On another note....

We did a movie marathon Saturday. We saw three
movies.

Our advice is:
Skip "Night in Rodanthe" Although we both like
Diane Lane and Richard Geer, the film is slow and
disjointed, and it has a low believability factor.

Don't miss "Ghost Town" For sheer fun and English
wit it's tough to beat. We laughed until our sides hurt.
And it had some very sweet and tender moments.

SuziQ is 110% on the money in her recommendation to
see "Forever Strong" This is a film that should be shown
to every young person at least once every six months between
age 8 to 26. It is excellent! My son had a companion while serving
a mission for our church that was a Rugby player for the
Highland High School team. He says that the movie depicts
his former coach just about perfectly.

So, there you have it... Our movie reviews for Fall 2008.

As for the week-end review, well...
It may seem silly to see have seen three movies as we did,
but it was a rainy day, and it was fun, so we did it anyway.
We may have gotten soaked in the downpour this past
weekend, but we splashed in the deepest puddles and had
a great time together anyway...
Our three year old may have been a stinker from time
to time, but his mother scooped him up in her arms, twirled
him around and around, and we laughed with him anyway...

Cuz THAT'S what it's all about, Alfie.

8 comments:

The Keel Gang said...

I absolutely love that you share moments like these. They are so precious & once again I am so thankful to know a mother & daughter team that is so amazing!

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow, are your blogs ever worth waiting the week between them to read. glad you enjoyed some rainy day weather. we even had one night of rain in our area but hubby and i spent it huddled close to our computers...actually i think he was watching a ball game and i was enwrapped in music and writing at my computer. but we had a fun evening last night went to the huntsman sr. games opening ceremonies-will blog tomorrow about it.

thanks for sharing your fun dg-mother time. makes me wish i had a daughter to enjoy....but do have some terrific sons that i love. i remember their tantrums also. once i got down on the floor and had a tantrum and the child involved just stopped and looked at me-like what is wrong with you but it stopped his tantrum. kids are funny as they grow and try to find themselves.thanks for movie recommendations.

Susan said...

a movie marathon AT a theater sounds perfect! I will have to try it on a Tuesday...free popcorn day. Robert had the YM as a group see Forever Strong...and you are right. It ought to be seen often. Cannot wait for the DVD. I'll be first in line to buy it. Yesterday I bought Disney's Platinum edition of Sleeping Beauty. At Institute last year we watched it and noted all the symbolisms of Christ and Satan in it. Amazing that movies today don't let us enjoy that connection. We see the evil...plenty of it. But to see both sides so visibly presented is not always there. Funny...Stephen King shows it. Isn't that interesting.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I too enjoyed our rainstorm, but I just sat outside on the covered patio so I could more clearly hear the thunder all around me. It sounds like you had the most fun.

Your relationship with your daughter makes me a little sad that I didn't have one, so I'll have to live vicariously through the two of you. I hope you don't mind.

Carrie and Shane said...

Thanks for the movie advice. My mom also liked Ghost Town...which I thought looked a little tryte, but I'll have to check it out with two recommendations.

SandyCarlson said...

I will have to give Ghost Town a try. Perhaps this weekend.

As the rains come tumbling down this a.m. and I elect to blog rather than go for the morning walk, I find myself hoping the rain will continue all day and I'll be able to play in it later! Thanks for this wonderful post.

Kay said...

Ahhhh... that's beautiful, Caryn. I just wanted to quickly stop by to thank you for keeping me company on my trip. You are such a lovely friend to everyone.
P.S. I'll have to remember your movie review. :-)

Rambling Woods said...

I guess you don't get rain often where you live? You make it sound so romantic and fun and how you describe your daughter and grandchild. Amazing. !! I will take your suggestions on the movies, but it will have to be when they come out on DVD....