Friday, October 17, 2008

I Can Fix That..


This would probably not be my first choice for a topic of conversation. I mean, what can you say about some poor old geezer with his head under a hopeless cause thinking that he's going to find some way to put this rusty remnant of days gone by back together. Give a man a little duct tape and he thinks he can save the world.
.
I hate to tell the truth. But, you know the adage regarding old habits and all that... So here goes:
.
My cute hubby is a world class dork who thought stuffing an old shirt and some overalls that he found in the barn with whatever he thought the squirrels would enjoy building nests out of, might be a fun way to spend an afternoon. So we looked around for some rags, newspapers, shredded sheets, plastic hands, cowboy boots that no one would claim, and a rusty wrench and built ourselves a mechanic that we knew would not overcharge us. And there he lies...yes, he does have a head (A smiling George Bush) wearing an ugly, green John Deere hat.
.
By the way Wayne was right, as he often is, it WAS a fun way to spend the afternoon.
And that is the story of the fourth picture in the fourth folder in my photo file.
.
p.s. Thanks to all of you who left your suggestions and insights on my last post. I shared your sage ideas with Chandi and Dustin and we figure if we follow them and hang tough long enough, his lackidaisical attitude is TOAST! (Am I even close to spelling that right?) Thanks again!

12 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

I love it, you couldn't have hand picked a better photo. Fun how randomness and serendipity take us to unique experiences...thanks for taking the idea and running with it and for doing such a smashing/ creative/ poetic job with your blog. YOU ARE AWESOME...REALLY!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

What a clever, creative husband you must have. That is just too cute.

Mare's read aloud ideas for your grandson were right on, and there are even more good stories for intelligent young boys--full of adventure and strong characters. My students loved Jack London's White Fang, my sister read the original Tarzan to her students. I'm sure your blog-followers can think of lots more if needed.

Rambling Woods said...

This is such a funny photo Caryn.. My husband is a not a fixer but a reader. I knew that when I married him..LOL..

dellgirl said...

Aaaahhh, this is so cute. And, after reading the post it's really fun and funny. What a great way to spend some time together. If you hadn't explained in your post, I would have thought it was a real person. How funny!!!

Susan said...

that is THE most adorable scene...and I'm so happy you made that mechanic. Robert CAN and HAS fixed every sort of car imaginable as well as built tons of things. But Robert and technology doesn't fair as well. I've bought him 3 PDAs which he can't work but once given away, they work fine. So for Sweetest Day (see Dawn's blog) I bought him a car GPS thingy and feared he wouldn't like it (since he didn't want one when I ventured it as a suggestion in the spring, for his birthday) but HE LOVES IT! We used it and loved it today...so bring on the dorks and pleasant afternoons spent together.

Linda Reeder said...

Great photo. It had me fooled. And your story telling is wonderful.

SandyCarlson said...

What a fun way to spend some time. You guys did a great job. He looks very real.

This made me laugh thinking of all the projects that should be quick but aren't. By the time the repair is done, the car is out of date!

Kay said...

This is really a fun photo and makes you stop to look.

Anonymous said...

That is too cute! And he does look real.

Carrie and Shane said...

In a few months you might be able to get the real George Bush to fix your car, he may need a new hobby to keep him busy.

dellgirl said...

Stopping by this time just to say "hi". Hope you had a good day today.

Have a really wonderful Friday and a nice relaxing weekend.

Anonymous said...

I really can't think of a funner way to spend a quiet afternoon. That is great.