Friday, September 5, 2008

Ding Dong



Ding Dong the hat is done...the hat is done... Ding Dong, the Witch's hat is done.

I found a child's velvet witch hat at a garage sale. It looked a little like the proverbial "sow's ear. But, I placed a quarter in the sellers hand and happily made my way to North Ogden to help my daughter turn it into "silk purse". Two trips to the craft store, a little tulle, and a couple of flowers later... Voila! We're on our way to the costume we invision. Pretty cute, huh?

We have everything we need to make the rest of the outfit (except for the purple and black striped socks). I'll post the whole ensemble when it's completed. We're thinking that I may join her at Gardner's Village for Witche's Night Out. If I do... I'll be an "Autumn Witch". We really don't like the whole moley nose, snaggle tooth, stringy hair, scary bit.

Wayne and I live so far out of the way that none of the neighborhood kids come trick or treating at our house, so my husband likes to dress up and deliver candy to the kids homes. It'll be fun to put something together for us to wear that's a little higher grade than we've done. Soooo, after Chandi's costume is finished, maybe that'll be our next project.

12 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

how fun and creative...can't wait to see more photos of the whole costume and what you put together for you and hubby. it makes my day when you do your weekly blog...thanks and for comments on my blog too.

Susan said...

what a superb hat? and who says a witch has to be ugly and snarly. I am a witch...and i'm not any of those things? Don't believe me? Ask my friends.

dellgirl said...

Love the hat, you two did a great job on that! And yea, nobody would have ever dreamed Samantha (Bewitched) was a witch - gorgeous! Waiting to see the rest of the costume. With your imagination, I know it will be a real treat.

Mare said...

You do know that the 'Glinda' part of my blogspot is the 'good witch'Glinda, and so, I,too, am a witch!! When I was still teaching, one parent made 'the queen of spades' playing card decorated exactly like the card-front and back on posterboard connected by rope or ribbon on the shoulder area. It was similar to the sandwich boards that people would advertise on, except that it was detailed from a deck of cards. Wayne could be the King of Hearts-topped off with a crown for him and you the queen with a tiara atop of your head!!Or King and Queen of Spells!
Just a thought.
Your purple hat looks great!!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Fabulous hat. I can't wait to see the whole costume! I've certainly been "witchy" before too. It seems I am in good company.

Linda Reeder said...

Great hat. Such fun you will be having!

Kay said...

That is certainly a very impressive hat! I love it! I'd have loved to have worn it to my class several years ago.

Carrie and Shane said...

I love the hat. I like the "classy" witch style. Chandi makes a beautiful model. I can't wait to see the whole outfit.

Jade said...

I absolutely love it! After yours will you work on mine and Tate's? Ok I'll settle for some of your clever ideas.. I just love Halloween! I think it is my favorite holiday, until the next one comes of course!

Rambling Woods said...

That is so nice of your husband and you. I love to see the smaller children all dressed up...

The Keel Gang said...

This is PERFECT! Wish I was there to join in your fun!

stacia said...

very cool hat! great job!