Monday, September 8, 2008

drinking from my saucer...

Shoot! Our bathroom is completely torn apart...again! We had it remodeled last August. The shower started to leak, so the contractor came and tore it apart, patched it up, and left us happy with running water to wash our hair. Then, about two months later, the shower started to leak again. We called the contractor. Then we called the contractor again. Then we called the contractor for the for the third, 17th, 23rd, and 42nd time. Months later, he came out, ripped up the floor, ripped off the bathroom door, ripped off the shower door, ripped off the tile on the bottom half of the shower, and went hunting for a week.

I should be irritated, right? Nah! I just packed the car and drove up north to stay with my kids for ten days. I played with my daughter and her three little boys. I played with my first born son and his boy. I played with my second born son. We went shopping and to football practices and soccer games, made Chandi's witch's hat, and went to see "Mamma Mia". We canned peaches and grape juice and ate stuffed zucchini and crab soup. We tucked sweet children into bed and were rewarded with baby squeezes around our necks. We fought with the 6th grader about getting his homework done, and saw a zillion cartwheels, jumps off a curb, and races on the scooter whenever we heard, "Gigi, mommy, watch this". We listened to the political pundits rant and contort the truth on both sides of the aisle, and held brilliant armchair debates with the best minds in the country. It was a delightful time!

I came home to a husband who missed me, made me dinner from produce he'd picked from the garden (and barbecued brats), helped me carry in groceries, and decorate our yard with fall leaves and pumpkins for my office party tomorrow night. He put me on the fourwheeler when he thought we'd worked long enough, and took me over to visit with neighbors who fed us wisdom and ice cream and begged us to stay a little longer.

Who needs the bathroom to be perfect when you're surrounded with people who can share your life in so many pleasing ways? At least the shower worked when I got home. Although the floor is still particle board waiting for matching tiles to be found, the wall still needs to be repainted, and floorboards replaced. But, I just don't seem to care when I stroll through the grove, and hear Wayne whistling in the yard, or answer the phone and a voice on the other end says, "Hi mom. I just called to talk. Can you hold on for a minute, Keaton wants to tell you he loves you." When evenings are spent with good friends who invited us over for a barbecue, or who giggle with me while sitting barefoot on the lawn, sharing stories, I know that my life is delicious indeed. I really am "drinking from my saucer, because my cup is running over".

9 comments:

The Keel Gang said...

Okay Caryn, so thanks for making me cry once again. I truly miss being around you & your family. You guys really know how to live & love & learn & move on. I admire this so much about your clan. I am loving the fall decorations & really need to think about putting up some of my own to add a little extra cheer. I do feel summer slipping away & that makes me giddy with delight about once again experiencing all the things I love about the fall season. I am so sorry I have not commented lately. I have missed it so but the words just were not there. I would give just about anything to have someone like you in my life, literally, not across the miles. I envy Chandi & her blessing in being born to you & Wayne. I can just see & feel the joy they must have when you come to warm their home with your presence. Okay, enough tears. I'm off to make chicken fried rice! That should warm my soul for one more night of making it through to another day to give another try to this life I have been given.

Great Grandma Lin said...

my cup runneth over every time I see you've blogged and am able to share in your life through your rambling thoughts. I smile, I laugh, I think, I feel your love of life and family. Thanks for sharing. Love, Lin

Linda Reeder said...

Wow! I don't really know you, but I'd like to.

Chandi said...

I enjoyed this post so much. You bring a story to life. I love the "Come Gather at My Table" with all your fall decorations around it. I always want to come visit in the fall, but it is so hard because we are tied down to football,soccer, or basketball games on the weekends. BIG SIGH!!!!

We had a fun time with you. It was really fun to have a project to work on.

Mare said...

What a clever title! You are so blessed. Forget the hokey-pokey...your blog is what it's all about! The good life experiences-and you have many.
The contractor/bathroom situation really provided dividends to you. And that only happens when you can see the glass is half full.
In your case,when you've fixed that leak in the bathroom, you can again have a glass that's full!!!
God bless you and yours.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

You are a lucky woman....and beyond that, you know you are. That is the best blessing of all. So many worry about the silliest things. You bring home all the truths that ARE important..

Susan said...

absolutely true. can you imagine what society did before indoor bathrooms were the norm? they enjoyed exactly what you enjoyed. did what you did. and didn't think twice about a "bathroom/chamberpot".

Good for you

Rambling Woods said...

Oh I needed a good family post like this tonight Caryn. My only child is back in Oklahoma and it makes me sad.. Michelle

Kay said...

Good gosh! I really admire you! Your patience and peacefulness is something we all aspire to. I see why your family loves you so much! Please come move to Hawaii and be my neighbor.