Tuesday, August 19, 2008

If only I'd just belly flopped!!

I was fifteen and a sophmore in high school... I had a HUGE crush on Alan Byers, who was absolutely the cutest guy in my circle of friends. We were at a swimming party. I should tell you that I used to think I was a pretty good diver. So, I perched myself on the board, took the clip out of my long, chestnut brown hair and shook it loose seductively, balanced, bounced, sprang into the air and curved my body downward to slice through the water gracefully...which I did, by the way. But, I decided last minute to do the Esther Williams bit and open my eyes wide and smile as I entered the water.

NOW... it is important that you know that I had a rare condition when I was in the eighth grade that necessitated having all but eight of my teeth extracted. Yes, I was a denture wearer at the ripe old age of 13.

Back to my story... The moment of impact, the rush of water forced my teeth out of my mouth. So, there I was temporarily blinded and toothless, completely unable to find my dentures. I reluctantly gave up the idea of just staying under water until I drowned and came to the surface just as my girlfriend, who saw what happened shouted, "Caryn's lost her teeth in the pool". And I sat on the sidelines watching helplessly as Alan Byers and every other guy at the party dove for my teeth.

Do you have any idea how awful it was to have Alan...tall, handsome, wonderful Alan hand me my "uppers"? He was shaking the water out of his hair and laughing as he placed them in my outstretched hand.

My life has all been uphill from that moment. Lots of embarrassing moments have come and gone... none that I was as devastated by...or enjoy the memory of as much.

14 comments:

Susan said...

That is absolutely the best embarassing moment I have ever heard. It must have been so horrible for you...so who came up with the dentures?

wispy willow said...

Alan, who's smile could drop me to my knees. Alan, who made my heart do flip, flops. Alan, who asked me out for the following week-end and took me water-skiing and on a picnic Saturday morning and afternoon and to a dance and out for strawberry waffles later that evening.

He truly was a good guy! He thought the incident was hilarous, but never made fun of me for a minute.

Carrie and Shane said...

That's definitely something you never forget. However, I'm so impressed that Alan went in after your teeth. What a guy.

Jaclyn B. said...

That's a dang good one. My MEM was at a grocery story when I came up behind my brother, dipped him backwards to plant one on his cheek, only to look down and see that it wasn't my brother!

Great Grandma Lin said...

thanks for sharing your experience on your blog for all your family to find and enjoy. you are a fun lady-never knew you had fake teeth. wouldn't have mattered, doesn't matter....love, lin

Rambling Woods said...

Oh dear..but what is surprising is the kindness of Alan..Wonder where he is now.

Mare said...

LOL!! That was unbelievable! I thought it was going to be that your bathing suit malfunctioned, so I was NOT expecting the punchline. I am still smiling as I picture the whole scenario. I was totally impressed with Alan.
Funniest post ever. Thanks for sharing!

Linda Reeder said...

Great story, and the happy ending you shared in the comments turns it from just funny to funny/sweet.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

I can't think of a story as good as yours. My life has--apparently--been pretty dull. I also wonder what happened to Alan. Thanks for sharing and letting us share an obviously vivid memory.

Kay said...

What an amazing, beautiful, heart tugging story. Your comment provided a very lovely ending to the story.

Chandi said...

Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3......

Is it working this time?

dellgirl said...

Oh my! I'm caught between laughing and feeling bad for you. Sorry, but laughing won out. Aah-hemm...as I get control of myself. Reminds me of the time my mom embarrassed the heck out of me. Tell you later.

Chandi said...

Was there another story with this same guy, the pool, and the monthly visitor? I swear I remember something like that.

SandyCarlson said...

What doesn't devastate us we enjoy later in the retelling....I have found this to be so. But it sure does require grace--and you have plenty.