Friday, August 15, 2008

Broad shoulders/Tender hearts


So... just who is the sexiest man alive, anyway? According to People Magazine, it's been Brad Pitt, Robert Redford, Tom Cruise, George Clooney, Tom Selleck, Matthew McCon(can't spell his name) and a whole slew of other chisel chested, square jawed, messy haired Adonnis types.

I used to think Jeff Chandler was sexy... anyone out there remember him? Robert Mitchum had a certain appeal to me. Gads! He was a star even prior to Jeff Chandler. (I am definitely no longer a "chick". My "pullet" days are long gone.) Maybe my wierdest choice for a sexy man was Charles Bronson. I'll send a dollar to anyone who knows who HE is. This man didn't have one single attractive feature... well, if you don't count his truly great body... His nose, mouth, teeth, ears, hair, eyes, cheekbones and jaw were all pretty skiwampy. He didn't have dimples, but he did have major ravines in his face almost everywhere. Somehow, when you put all his lopsided features together he just looked very masculine. Although, rather like a short, fleshtoned, vulnerable version of Frankenstein. But, he could make my older sister and I at least semi- swoon.

Anyway, I digress.

So... Who is the sexiest man alive? Let me give you my current thinking. It would be one who exhibits:

* Tenderness toward his wife, children, parents, pets...
* An ability to listen
* A willingness to respond to what he hears when he listens
* Spontaneity
* Humor
* Fidelity
* Kindness and friendliness towards people who serve him ie: waitresses, car valets, washing machine repairmen, pharmacists, the guy who works the counter at Walmart, Best Buy, and I.F.A.
(hmmm.. this is beginning to sound a lot like my hubby, oddly enough)

Bottom line... As I've matured, I've learned to recognize traits that will never be recognized by People magazine in judging what gives a man sex appeal. I don't find a man desireable who leaves wife number 2 for girlfriend #11 to father child #4 outside of wedlock, or thinks it's cool to drink and snort his life away, or has lost complete touch with the "common folk", and has therefore filled his 9 garages with 68 vintage cars, and the closets in his various homes, here and abroad, with five hundred seventy seven $6,500 suits. So, in the previous paragraph, I listed what I would use as criteria.

Oh yeah... did I forget to mention broad shoulders, good teeth, thick hair, smoldering eyes, long legs, and a jungle cat walk. Nah! I jest. In my mind, there is a HUGE difference between goodlooking and sexy!!! How about you?? Any nominations?

p.s. May I just take a moment of your time to say something kind about Paul Newman. He is one of the rare Hollywood leading men who married one woman, remained faithful to her, lived through some unspeakable heartache, and dedicated much of his life and a good deal of his fortune to helping others. He lived as a gentleman would, graciously, privately, and with dignity. In my mind, he earned the spot he held on magazine covers and in the hearts of his fans. I wish him and his family well during this difficult time. He will be missed by many.

11 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

hurrah for husbands...i thought paul newman was very handsome but then he became an old man. but i agree after marrying a tall handsome prince who turned in a frog and mutated that unseen qualities are what really matters. check our my blog for your I LOVE YOUR BLOG award. thanks for reminding us of the real values in life and marriage....

SandyCarlson said...

Newman is quite a man.

But your thoughts on Charles Bronson made my day. My mother shares your views completely. I think she most likes his no-nonsense quality. That is the appeal!

Thanks for praying for Elise.

Linda Reeder said...

You should start a consulting business. There are a lot of young women out there who could use your wisdom.
And yes, I know all of those stars you mentioned.

Susan said...

oh my gosh....Charles Bronson in a heartbeat! There's no contest. Plus...the added bonus...I always considered him Polish, like me (but I think he was Lithuianin or something). I loved him in several movies but I really enjoyed him with ELVIS in Kid Gallahad. Do I dare to even mention I loved the payback in DeathWish? And boy didn't he age gracefully and actually was more handsome at the end of his life, perhaps. Lucky Jill Ireland. Yes, I'm a fan...and you don't need to sent me a buck...just thinking about him is payment enough.

Oh yes...Jeffrey Chandler with the brilliantly clear eyes....the perfect David and naturally starring with Jimmy Stewart in Broken Arrow was a great costarring opportunity, an Indian with those eyes? wow.

I always thought my husband was handsome and sexy...even before I married him...and he proved to be all you listed WHEN I married him. I still see him so..and people are church chuckle at me cuz I'm always intently listening to him to conduct or speak...they think I'm looking (and I am) but I am really listening. He brings out the best in me.

Rambling Woods said...

When my daughter got engaged, I asked her why she chose J. She said, "Mom he's a good man who loves his family and me and that is hard to find nowadays". Just like your hubby Caryn...

Charles Bronson was very handsome in his day...

Mare said...

I'm sure that you count your blessings when your list of qualifications reminded you of our husband. Good for you, Caryn.
Funny that your entire description of Charles Bronson is eactly what my good friend has said for years.
Let;s see...easy on the eyes...did you ever listen to Dan Fogelburg?
I happen to think Denzel Washington has it all together!
PS What happened to Paul Newman ?[who I think aged very gracefully!!]
And thank you for your kind thought[the award]. I also have no idea how to accomplish sharing those awards. And you are way more blog knowledgeable than I am. My niece set mine up for me, and I have few blogging skills other than posting and commenting! And I love to read yours, too!

dellgirl said...

I'd better post first before I start reading everyone's comments and forget what I came to say. Charles Bronson was always a favorite of mine but, he was over the top in Death Wish with the money in the sock. I still watch it when it replays. You're right about the looks too. AND, about liking his no-non-sensedness. lol

Kay said...

I agree with you completely about Paul Newman. I'm very happy with my husband, too. I wonder what men count as important in a wife.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what kind of person he was, but the sexiest actor of all time is Humphrey Bogart. Nothing beats Casablanca.

SandyCarlson said...

Just want to thank you for stopping by and leaving such kind and encouraging words on my poem!

Trina said...

Yeah, when you asked me that, I could only think of one man, my man. We are very lucky to recognize the great men we have been blessed with. He still spins my beanie. I do remember Charles Bronson, I think more people than you think will.