Saturday, August 9, 2008

Half of knowing...




It's is a GORGEOUS day outside today. Perfect! The sun is warm, not hot...the grass is lush, the flowers are in full bloom, the creek is chattering, telling tales about the mountain glens above as it tumbles over the stones below , the breeze is whispering secrets in the leaves of the trees... A variety of birds are twittering in noisy conversation. It seems all of nature on our land is visiting with one another. It's amazing how so many sounds can seem so still and quiet.

Do you know what I'm doing? Well... beside sitting at the computer, looking out the window and wondering why I'm not exercising the good sense to be out there? I'm wishing I was 30 pounds lighter. Wanna know what else I'm doing? I'm munching my way through a bag of M&M's.

What??? There is so little consistancy in my life. I just can't seem to get my right brain and my left brain to work as a team.

I read, or heard, or made up... that half of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up to get it. So... I guess that means I'm half way to being 30 pounds slimmer. I KNOW I have to chuck the rest of that bag of M&M's. It's the other half that seems to be the set back. You know... the actually giving up what you know you have to give up. There you go... I just tossed another one in my mouth.

I may have to say ta ta to you lovely ladies who may stop by, put on the pair of dusty Nike's sitting under the bench in the mud room, and mingle the thwup, thwup of my footsteps with the other sounds I hear. A walk may loosen some of my fat cells.... and some of the cobwebs from my brain. I need to clear up my mind so I can clean up my behavior. There are lessons waiting to be learned from the creek. If it stays on one place and doesn't move, it either swells or begins to dry up...either way, it stagnates. It had to travel many miles before it began to run clear, clean water and gained the capacity to offer nourishment and refreshment along it's path.
p.s. I will NOT take the bag of chocolate covered almonds with me. I WILL take them to the neighbors children. Oh, oh... see the inconsistency already? How can I take them to the kids across the street and not take them with me? Let me make a new commitment... I will NOT eat any of the chocolate covered almonds... the REALLY, YUMMY, chocolate covered almonds on
the way to the neighbors house. Ahhh...I feel two pounds lighter already.

11 comments:

Mare said...

You are too funny! I have lost the same 30 pounds and gained back the same 35 at least 4 times if not 5.
So, I no longer diet and from my July 07 to July 08 dr. appt. I lost 8 pounds. Have you ever noticed that people who are so focused on what they eat aren't really fun...they're kinda crabby.
Anyway, eat the other half of the bag and go for a walk.
PS I bought M&M's today at the store.

Rambling Woods said...

I really enjoyed this Caryn. I could picture you there and could almost taste the M&Ms..hmmm...I need something chocolate..see you later..

Kay said...

I used to love those chocolate covered almonds, too, Caryn. Your post really gave me a chuckle. I'm afraid I finally lost all my weight when I ended up being pre-diabetic. Now I'm on a low carb diet and moving more. It's made those pounds drop away. Sigh... not a fun way... but what the heck.

Susan said...

Things are settling down so I thought I'd comment and not just read. Give up? Give up? chips and hershey bars? regular plain M&Ms with real peanuts mixed in? Drats! But today is the first day of the rest of my life I've decided. My best friend and husband are starting Monday. My grandma always said, Better the day, Better the deed....so I will begin to watch what I eat today and start some sort of exercise tomorrow. I could lose more than 30 but 30 is a good place to start. Keep me posted.

SandyCarlson said...

That first photo made me think of Yeats's poem "The Stolen Child." All these photos and the beauty you describe make me want to go out and play.

You're a beautiful person.

Great Grandma Lin said...

hi friend, been without wifi at my cousin's and too busy with family and reunion hs things to comment or read but I LOVE YOUR PHOTOS and poetic words. I too have gained back the 20 pounds i lost several years ago and then some...i like to eat and have not done my exercising=water aerobics for weeks. there's always tomorrow to repent. we are in utah valley heading home tomorrow. stop buying m and m's try carrot sticks and celery-yum...

Jo, a retired teacher said...

That was very creative stream-of-consciousness fun, and I loved reading it.

My body decided, after a several years of hormone deficiency (menopause) that I needed to be 15 pounds heavier. I fought it for a while, then just bought bigger pants. I try to do healthy things: walk, eat lots of fiber, take my calcium, and watch the junk I eat. Although in the case of potato chips, I just watch them disappear (it's my weakness).

Kay said...

Caryn, I just read the poem you left on Michelle's Rambling Woods blog about eating cicadas. It is a totally wonderful, amazing, hilarious poem. I had to read it to my daughter and she got such a kick out of it also. You are an amazing poet....so so talented.

dellgirl said...

Hi and hello there funny lady, you crack me up with your sense of humor! I love this post today. I can relate to the chocolate covered "stuff". I just returned home from errands, my purchases contained . . . what?! A bag of chocolate covered "peanuts", not the small bag, I got the large bag. They last longer - if I force myself to think extra hard about making them last. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't. Now I have to go put them away so I can eat them in peace (out of Jordyn's sight). LOL

Chandi said...

I wish knowing was half the battle. I don't buy it! It isn't working for me. I just got done working on the elliptical machine and what do I do? I get off and head to the kitchen for some chocolate covered almonds.

Rambling Woods said...

You asked...
Tell us more about her (Dee) sometime. Is she married? Is she a mom? What is her degree in? Does she share your love of the camera and wildflife? Do you get to see her often? Does she make you laugh?

Dee is engaged to a man she met in Oklahoma who is home after a tour in Iraq. She is a psychologist at a prison in Oklahoma, but wants to move back to the northeast to work with the VA and PTSD in soldiers.

Dee is a very kind and very funny person who never gives up once she decides to do something. She got ill in her early teens and missed a lot of school, but kept plugging along and still deals with her health limitations. I admire her tenacity.

She hasn't had time to do anything other than study and now working at her job..I haven't seen her often, but we get along very well now..not alway in the teen years.