Sunday, May 3, 2009

Turn Around...And Hear the Echos

We raised our children in a four level split home at the mouth of a canyon in Northern Utah. It was in many ways a marvelous place to raise our four little ones... in others, not so great. It wasn't a neighborhood that was friendly toward kids. But we backed up against orchards and mountains that seemed to be our private domain. We were surrounded by open fields, were walking distance to creeks and ponds full of pollywogs.

The house itself was easy to live in. Roomy and open, with room to hide and read in peace. It had nothing but windows and doors on the east side that opened out to flower gardens, a fire pit in the backyard, and the canyon yawning wide just beyond the border of the orchard.

Lots of memories were made there. Toasting marshmallows around the firepit with friends who sang and talked with our kids into the wee small hours as their hopes for the future mingled with sparks from the open flames... sleeping out under shooting stars on the trampoline with only the sound of the crickets and our stories. Walks through the orchard with my daughter and our dogs, sitting on a cement slab among the cherry trees day dreaming.

There were birthday parties and family re-unions and Christmas trees that took up a third of the parlour. There were midnight runs through the sprinklers, and hockey games in the cul de sac, and banana splits for breakfast. There were Easter baskets to be found at the end of yards and yards of string woven throughout the house. We sat in the sun in front of the french doors during the summer reading from a stack of books from the library shelves. We sat huddled under blankets on the heat vents in the parlour during the winter months...talking and warming ourselves with the blowing heat and each others laughter.

We sold this family home to our son a fews years back... I can't remember if it was three or four. I went to visit a week or so ago and walked into that parlour. I grabbed a blanket and sat on the heater and let my mind drift back in time. Gone are the sounds of the incessant chatter about school, football games, dates, and wedding plans. Gone are the times when we treated hurts from tummy aches to heartaches, and kissed and cuddled the way to feeling better... Only the walls echoed back the voices of that era. It was a haunting visit.

We all take such joy seeing our children grow into adulthood. Yet, there are those moments when our arms ache with longing to hold them on our lap one more time. I walked into my son's room one night while visiting, and watched him sleep. I reached out to touch his cheek and tried to remember the little boy who slept in that house so many years ago. He's grown into a fine young man with a son of his own, now. The song is right... I turned around, and all three of my boys were young men, capable young men, who had moved into their own lives. I can't hear them run through the back door bursting with excitement at some adventure or escapade to tell me about. I can't tuck them in at night and sing, "I Found a Friend" softly, and always just slightly off tune...and have them beg me to sing it again. But, I remember...

On my last stay up north, I sat in my daughters kitchen and watched her prepare a meal for her three sons. I tried to recall the tiny girl of five or six making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich all by herself. She was so proud. Just as I am now proud. I love the woman she has become... but, I long for the little girl she once was. I miss the girl of sixteen, seventeen, nineteen and twenty who took so many precious walks among the apple blossoms with me.

Memory is a savoury thing, to taste with relish, and dwell on with delight.  Memories also often bring an aching longing for just one more day setting helium filled balloons free to soar on their own.  And no, the analogy, the irony, is not lost on me.

15 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow that is so poetic...glad you are blogging more. It's soooo hard to wait 3 weeks or more between your posts. What a delight and echo for your children to read and feel your love and reflect on their own adulthood with or without children to raise. It's quite a legacy my dear friend. Thanks for sharing YOU!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Ah, this was so sweet. You have put it so eloquently. I have also wished that my boys could be little again, just for a while. Savour the memories is right!


You have a gift for emotional description. I hope you're writing things down somewhere besides your blog.

Linda Reeder said...

Oh, I have read this first thing in the morning, and now I may have trouble getting going with my tasks for the day. It is so beautiful, nostalgic, almost melancholy, that I want to sit and remember my own experiences in this home we still own, where our children grew up.
I miss their contact, even as I take pride in their independent lives.

Chris said...

What lovely memories and how lucky your children are to have had such a lovely childhood. It would be great to see pictures of the place you describe---please.

Jean said...

Wow. You've practically blown me away with this one, Caryn. Beautiful writing, beautiful memories. You made me long for my own childhood.

Carrie and Shane said...

Thanks Caryn, you put me in the right sentimental mood to write my talk about motherhood for Sunday.
My favorite memory about your home in was the way it looked at Christmas time. (I can't forget the trampolene.)

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, you are a wonderful mom. I hope your kids have a copy of this in a safe place for all time. I often wonder how it will be when my daughter, now 10, is an adult.

You brought tears to my eyes and reminded me to love every minute of exactly what is this precious gift called life.

Thank you.

Deborah Godin said...

What a wonderful essay on home and heart! Enjoyed this very much.

Rambling Woods said...

I know..I was watching my daughter this weekend and my husband caught my eye..He said later that he knew just what I was thinking..about the little girl we once had....sigh...

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Caryn, I so enjoyed your posting.

You gave us such lovely glimpses of your family memories, and you write in all in such a way that makes me feel I'm there too, reliving memories (even if they aren't mine memories)!

Mare said...

I am leaving my thoughts without reading anyone else's comments. That was absolutely amazing, heartfelt, beautifully written, mesmerizing, and so moving to read. God bless you and all of your family, Caryn.
What wonderful memories!

Jenna said...

Aunt Caryn,

Reading your post reminded me of wonderful memories at that house near the orchard. It was a welcoming place and always an adventure to be had whether it be motorcycle rides up the canyon with underage drivers, running down cliffs of sand in the gravel pit or trying to avoid the orchard owner as we snuck fruit from the trees. Thanks for all the great memories. I look at my time with my little ones and often feel it is so fleeting. I have to remind myself to just enjoy them while they are mine to be enjoyed.

Please come visit my new blog some time at www.herbandjenna.blogspot.com

Happy Mother's Day!

Jenna

Kay said...

This is such a beautiful post, Caryn. I can readily relate to everything you've written. I've felt the same thing as I've stared at my grown children, trying to find the little boy and girl I loved so much. I'm proud of who they are now but I love seeing them in my mind's eye as my little babies.

We're also selling our house to our daughter. The house will be completely changed I know as it should be. It will be a place for them to make their own memories.

I have such beautiful memories and your post took me back to that time. Thank you.

Lynley said...

Hey Aunt Caryn,
Whoosh- you've brought back so many blessed memories of times with my cool cousins, whom I treasured. You did live in a beautiful place- there was a feel to it that sank deep.

I want to thank you for giving me so many great memories: the canal, the gravel pit, motorcycle rides, hikes up the canyon, chocolate chip cookies, your fabulous spaghetti, brown paper packages tied up with bows- under the magnificent Christmas tree,sweet summer nights slept out on the trampoline, croquet, hide and seek, basketball, late-night walks, fireballs. We loved seeing you all. I'll always miss that.

dellgirl said...

Caryn, this is wonderful. And, the photos are spectacular. I wish I could print them out, put them in a book, and just sit quietly and soak up the serenity. What a heartwarming post.

You have a beautiful family, everyone looks so happy and peaceful. I love it.