Thursday, May 28, 2009

Did you bring the "Joseph" C.D.??





Seven days on vacation in Southern California with Chandelar...

I'm happy to report that we didn't forget anything. We brought lively, silly CD's to sing to and keep us alert for the long drive. We had plenty of underwear, our bathing suits, hair doodads, toothpaste, toenail polish, "chick flicks", our favorite pillows, comfortable shoes (although not quite comfortable enough... we bought new ones), sun hats, sun dresses, light weight sweaters, and chocolate. The only thing we left at home that we could have used is the muscle power of our hubbys, and perhaps a small hoist, to lift and carry our luggage.

It was another happy, carefree time with one of the brightest jewels in my crown. We ate some really good food, soaked our feet in fountains after a day of traipsing through some beautiful buildings and gardens, watched (and danced to) some girlie movies, checked out the ancient, rickety, wooden roller coaster on the Belmont pier, shopped some little boutiques, and strolled the street festivals in the beach cities. We stayed up too late, sat in the hot tub too long, drank too many Vanilla Bean Frappacino's, and ate too many In N' Out Burgers. But, mostly we talked, and talked, and giggled, shed a few tears, and talked some more.

I relished and treasure every minute if it...
I hope we get a chance to over pack for another week away together next year.

13 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

That's wonderful, and good for you! You and your daughter have a beautiful relationship. It speaks to the kind of people you are.

Great Grandma Lin said...

how fun, I wondered where you went. Did you drive? yes of course as you sang to silly cds to keep you awake. sounds like a fun time despite all the luggage to carry. I certainly missed out having all sons.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Sounds like a wonderful time; you make me sad that I not only don't have a daughter, but my daughters-in-laws are far away. You are a lucky woman (though I doubt luck had much to do with it).

You did travel with a lot of luggage. My dear hubby would be growling at me with that kind of pile. I've learned to take fewer things and more money than I think I will need.

Deborah Godin said...

Sounds like you had some wonderful "theraputic excess"!!

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I just love how you take these special times with loved ones and really make them memorable by all the fun stuff you take along and do when you get there!

When I saw your photo with that pile of luggage, I was reminded of those old British comedy mysteries -- Partners in Crime -- the Agatha Christie stories with Tommy and Tuppence.

Tuppence knew how to pack too -- hat boxes and suitcases packed every whichaway when they were off to investigate the next crime. After all, you need the right outfit and hat to match, yes?

So glad you had a wonderful time!

Mare said...

I share Lin's and Jo's fate...no daughters. Maybe in my next life. I enjoyed reading about your getaway, and all of your fun. God bless y'all.

Jean said...

Your trip to Southern Cal sounds great, Caryn. How wonderful that you and your daughter enjoy one another so much. Lots of laughter (and some tears) are good medicine.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for sharing your happiness here. My night is all the better for it.

Susan said...

i left a message under your tulip entry (need the variety name...WANT those). Plus I'm asking again here:

BUT can you also sing that song you mentioned on my blog into a mic, through sound recorder which can be found on accessories (under Entertainment) in Windows, assuming you have a PC and not a MAC? Then save it and email the song to me. I need to sing that song.

Susan said...

oh and if you want a new silly CD song, be sure to check out Neil Sedaka's Waking Up Is Hard to Do. He's rewritten several of his songs and 2 new ones, just for children...Robert and I love it. It stays in the car with us.

SandyCarlson said...

I enjoyed these words and images again!

Kay said...

I'm so happy for you, Caryn. How terrific that you were able to spend this beautiful time with your beautiful daughter. I can see what a gorgeous jewel she is. Wow! You did have a lot of luggage. My husband would be chuckling, too since he makes me travel with barely half a suitcase.

dellgirl said...

Oh that sounds heavenly!!! The only way to go..."carefree time with one of the brightest jewels in your crown, eating really good food, soaked your feet in fountains after a day of traipsing"... That's all about as close to heaven as we can get right here on earth. I love it, love it, love it!