Monday, December 29, 2008

Is it worth remembering?



It's strange how every now and then a stray thought meanders into your mind and causes you to sit up straight and give it further consideration. I was busily engaged doing absolutely nothing a few minutes ago and it struck me.

Whatever I do today will be what I have to remember tomorrow
.

What kind of a memory am I making? Is it going to be worth remembering? For me? For one of my children? For a friend?

I had just written on Lin's blog about wanting to spend more of each day doing what inspires, interests and pleases me. Maybe if I don't quit working altogether I will, at the very least, take longer recesses. I'll try to snatch some corner in every hour to do, visit, write, or make something memorable. Why not? I'm not in much of a hurry anymore. I can certainly allow myself the time to smell the lilacs along the highway.

This holiday season has been awash in some tender, some giggle snicker snort, and some inspiring moments, memories to be cradled in my mind and cherished forever.

I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't have some portion of every day furnish me with such treasured times. Seems like a worthy goal for 2009.

I think I'll give it a shot.

pics are one of my families favorite Christmas traditions. Mom's (that's me)wrapped packages. Someday I may share the reason I wrap presents like this even for the two year old. It's one of my favorite stories.

AS REQUESTED: This is a codicil

There was a woman from Georgia living as a missionary in Japan with her husband. One afternoon in the early fall, the missionary couple were visiting with one of the local farmers. She mentioneed how much she missed the Georgia peaches this time of year. The old farmer pointed to the top of a mountain in the distance and told her that very sweet peaches were known to grow there. She sighed at the thought and they discussed that it was a long way to go and there was no transporation available other than an old goat and cart. Much of the trip would have to be made on foot. It simply wasn't possible to make the trip to get them.

A few days later, the old farmer stood at the door of the missionaries home. He held a basket of beautiful, golden red peaches in his hands. The woman gasped and asked, "Where did you find these?" "On top of mountain", said the farmer.
"I can't believe it! I can't believe that you traveled such a great distance to bring me such a wonderful surprise." "Great distance, part of gift." was his softly, humbly spoken reply.

I LOVE that! I love the generosity of spirit it expresses. The time, effort and creativity that I put into wrapping a pretty package is "part of gift".

11 comments:

dellgirl said...

This is beautiful Caryn, the post and the packages. Those are the kinds of gifts I'd get on everyone's nerves trying to open.They are so pretty I would do my darndest not to disturb anything -- from the just perfect bows to the tape holding the wrapping paper.They all take a break to go and do "whatever" while I'm gingerly trying to preserve "stuff". Their final words to me -- "JUST OPEN IT ALREADY!!!"

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Ahhhh... Caryn, I can see by your gift pics, we are indeed kindred spirits. And I will look forward with eager anticipation to learn about 'why' you wrap like this even for 2 year olds!

I will never forget the time many years ago when a co-worker received a package at the office all nicely wrapped, from a friend she had visited earlier. Enclosed inside were only the shoes she'd forgotten at the door as she put on her winter boots.

Together we had marveled at the gracious way the friend had parcelled up the shoes -- they could just as easily been transported in a Safeway bag, but here they had arrived tucked into a nice bag and fastened with ribbon and a sprig of Christmas greenery.

Somehow that day I made an inner decision that I, too, wanted to live every episode of my life that way... beautifully, even when it seems it's not going to matter or be noticed....just because I want to live my life beautifully whether someone appreciates/sees it or not.

Methinks you may have decided that too???

And thank you for the lovely post...good thoughts as we start to think about the New Year.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

PS Loved the 'giggle, snicker, snort' phrase!

Rambling Woods said...

It's so nice to see you posting again even though I have read your comments on my blog. You always give me something to think about. And in that vein I have moved my Views From The Deck to here and will start it up again...I will put the address right here...
View From The Deck

Great Grandma Lin said...

okay good to have you back blogging. how about sharing some of your special moments on your blog more often to keep all your fans happy. I'm one of them...

SandyCarlson said...

I am going to take your advice and do the same thing. I hope you will write about your beautiful gift-wrapping, Caryn. Glad to read your blog again. I missed you!

Linda Reeder said...

Yes, indeed, a gift should mean more than just ordering something for a store or catalog and having it sent. A family member does this every year, and I can tell it was just an obligation for her. She put nothing of herself in it.

Kay said...

Those are spectacular presents, Caryn! I'll bet people would not even want to open them because they're so beautiful. That extra artistry you put into them make your gifts that much more special.

Kay said...

Hmmmm....I just had another thought. This reminds me of my post about Michael. He was one of my students who came from a needy family but wanted so much to give me a present. He wrapped his teddy bear in newspaper with tape barely holding it in place. I never opened gifts in front of students because I didn't want my first graders to make comparisons. That day, I kept Michael in at recess and opened it privately with him and thanked him profusely. During the Christmas break I brought over another bear just for him. I can still see that gift he gave me when I close my eyes wrapped so tenderly as only a 6 year old can.. all by himself.

Jean said...

Your wrappings are absolutely stunning, Caryn. Wow. I often told my students that presentation, whether of self or of a gift, is 99% of the giving. The story of the peaches is wonderful. That's something I want to remember. And finally, about this remembering thing: What gets me is we can never predict what we'll remember and what we'll forget. Sometimes we remember the most trivial, inconsequential thing at the expense of something much more important. Ah, well. We do the best we can. Best wishes for 2009. I'll look forward to your 2009 blog entries, for sure.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for stopping by, my friend. Happy New Year!