Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Am I the only one?

Okay... I work. My husband's retired. Now, granted, I don't work every day. At least, I don't drive the 30 miles into my office every day. But, on those days when I do, I've asked my sweetie if he didn't think it would be nice for him to make the bed while I'm in the shower, or make a smoothie or a bowl of Quaker Oats for breakfast. I even suggested that it would be nice when I get home at 7:30, after putting in a 10 hour day, if he'd have dinner ready.

Well... I do happen to live with one of the twelve sweetest men on the planet. And as far as his sense of fun... he ranks up there in the top two. I wouldn't trade him! Not for anyone and not for anything.

But.... am I the only one who thinks he hasn't quite taken hold of the idea of "helping" when I come home from showing properties and find that his idea of making dinner is putting a couple of chicken breasts on a plate to thaw, and plugging in the George Foreman grill. If he wasn't so dang sincere about it, I'd be a tad ticked off... I think... But, he's just so proud of himself, that I can only laugh, season the chicken, place it in the grill, make a salad & some rice, set the table and thank him for helping with dinner.

I don't want those of you who have hubby's who are gourmet cooks, who do the wash, and vacuum the floors to go getting all cocky, now. Wayne has vacuumed, he's never done the wash, but he has made the bed... sort of. It's kinda hard to tell when he's finished that it's been made. He has made breakfast, at least he's taken the cold cereal box out of the cupboard and put it on the table, he's made hamburgers for dinner once, and smoothies for breakfast. Although I did catch him just in time to stop him from putting cottage cheese and a whole apple in our fruit smoothie a couple of weeks ago. I'm talking WHOLE apple, ..seeds, core, stem, price sticker. We have a pretty dang powerful machine, but why chance it! I kind of regretted not letting him try the cottage cheese. Who knows, it just might have been pretty good.

Anyway, he keeps his clothes up off the floor, cleans the shower every time he uses it, and always squeezes the toothpaste from the bottom of the tube... so, if you take all that into account, along with the fact that he listens to my blather whenever I want to talk...even if a Jazz game's on, and he makes me laugh every day, and he's always provided me with a home with a great view and a car that makes it every where I want to go and back home again without breaking down... well, except for the T-bird, oh, and the Suburban. I've had it, and continue to have it pretty good. Life has been bitter occasionally, but generally pretty sweet, and sometimes, just downright delicious! Maybe I've always had to season the chicken, but he's spiced up our life together.

13 comments:

The Keel Gang said...

I LOVED THIS! For so many reasons...you are still so in love after several years or marriage & I wish that for everyone I know, you love him despite the fact he doesn't do it all just like you would or just like you hoped he would, you still see in him the very same reasons you fell in love with him & probably a hundred more reasons have been realized since that time. Really enjoyed it.

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey, you blogged again...enjoyed hearing you ramble. my advice, it's easier for you to change than try to change your husband. get a crock pot and use it or quit work and retire also-you deserve it.

Chandi said...

He tries hard doesn't he? John and I were telling some fun stories about Dad the other day to our friends. We get such a kick out of him. John says Dad is one of the funnies people he knows. I am glad you two are happy together. It's a wonderful thing for a child to see their parents happy and in love.

Anonymous said...

Remember that time we were driving in the Suburban and the wipers were broken, so we had to stop and use snow to clean the dirt from the windshield? Ha ha, I remember Chandi driving the T-bird like an old lady too...both hands gripping the wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock like her life depended on it!

This was a wonderful memoir you wrote.

Unknown said...

You are such an amazing woman! How is it possible that I feel the exact same way about my hubby? And we've only been married a year? (Well, almost) The Stott's men of "helping" is just so different from what you want, but they are so sincere and try so hard that you can't help but laugh! I still get a bit frustrated sometimes, but Thad has a heart of gold. How can you be mad at someone who means well? As for the hair. It's funny. Thad said almost the same comments about the pics. But it was a hair show. Therefore VERY extreme! Not everyday styles. Why do they do that? I'm not sure. The salon I work at is in Kaysville. A long drive for you. And anyone who wants to come to Zions is welcome! If we're lucky... I'll be pregnant and won't be up for the 30 mile hikes either. =)

Trina said...

I too enjoyed your thoughts, especially after the long hours of talking we've done over the years to learn to live with and appreciate "the Stott men". Thank you for the great example you are and have been to me. And for all the advice you've given me throughout the years. We are very blessed to have such good men.

Carrie and Shane said...

I guess I'm a Stott woman, genes and all, and I'm sure Shane could lament about me as well. He could probably use some of the advice you've given Trina or anybody else...better yet, he could read your blog:)

Jade said...

Cute! Uncle Wayne is on my top 12 guys list too! It is so great how you explain him so perfectly. Don't you just wonder what is going on in that head? When we ask my dad what's going on in his he replies simply, "nothing". I kinda think more than nothing is going on though, or else they wouldn't be so great.

stacia said...

loved this post! you are a great inspiration and example! thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Jaclyn B. said...

I think 99% of women can sympathize with you on your thoughts, and 100% of Stott women. I'm not married to a Stott, but now that I'm married I can better see my father and brothers as husbands and laugh at their quirks and admire their strengths.

Jade said...

I am missing your posts...

Great Grandma Lin said...

Dear Caryn, i'm missing your posts also. Had to reread this one and enjoyed it all over again. PLEASE write more for your fans and family who want more words from you....Lin

Kay said...

Lin led me to your blog. I must say... your husband sounds like a gem. He's trying....