Saturday, February 9, 2008

young chicks, old dogs...


I've been reading some of the posts written on my neice's, and some of Chandi's good friend's,
"blogs" There's Jade and Cali, Tessa, and Summer. There's Maria, Tara and Stacia. And, of course when she's not basking in the sun on a beach somewhere in the Bahama's...there's my own little girl, Chandelar. Young chicks all.
Those days are faded memories for me now. I'm all sqawk and not much strut anymore.
I was thinking about that this morning while looking at the towers of snow that are slowly melting in the yard. I've been telling myself that the productive, fertile days of being a young chick are behind me now. What a ridiculous thought!! Why in the world would anyone try to convince themselves that they're past the time to create, and develop their gifts, and contribute to the laughter and wisdom of their circle of influence. Pretty crazy. And I've decided that even if my feathers are falling out (that's a loose translation. I'm losing my hair) I can still strut what stuff I have left... and I can have a good time doing it. What's more, the old dog I share my life with still thinks I look like a tasty dish now and then. So what have I lost?? Not a thing that hasn't been replaced with something else of value. Do I look good in a swim suit? ha ha ha ha aahhhhh ha ha ha. Of course not! Can I wear really cute capri's and t's (you know, like Chandi wears) and not look silly? Not often... and less often than I try to, that's for sure. Can I chase kids around the yard and climb hills to fly kites with them? Certainly... but I can't do it without huffing and puffing and suffering mightily for it later that night.
So what? I have the time to read and paint and sculpt and write and think. I can listen to kith or kin as long as necessary to salve a breaking or sorrowing heart. I can go for a leisurely stroll and not have to worry about being home when school's out. I can leave my sculpture on the dining table and give no thought whatsoever to who might put their little fingers in it. Life is delicious at every stage! I don't want to go back. I want to move forward. But, oh! How I love to peek in on the lives of those who are in the mid morning years of their lives. It's such a treat for someone who is living in the twilight of hers.
Thank you one and all for allowing me to read and remember. I'm so very moved by each of you and the wisdom, insight, and joy that you express. Here's to youth, and old age, and everything in between!

6 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

thanks for expressing some of my thoughts also. it's interesting though the packaging outside (our physical body) has changed-more wrinkles, sags and aches, the inside spirit is still young or ageless but wiser with all the experiences we have had. what a joy it will be to have a young healthy resurrected body one day to re-enter with this wise spirit that we are becoming. need to enjoy each stage or part of our ongoing life for it's special moments of learning and giving. we aren't in competition with the young chicks whether male or female but are here to nurture them as they seek
our support. it's quite the plan-LIFE!!!

Chandi said...

I have a hard time seeing you tire3 sometimes. I never thought it would happen. You use to tire me out when we would go shopping. Now I tire you out.
You are still such a fun and wonderful Grandma to the boys. They love you.

Anonymous said...

I still think of you as a young chick - I don't think I'll ever think of you differently. You've always had so much energy and enthusiasm and love.

stacia said...

thanks for the reminder that life is delicious at every stage! you certainly have a gift for making it just that.

Jade said...

Well I would hardly consider you old age! But I am grateful I have an older wiser friend!

The Keel Gang said...

Love this post! I needed a reminder of what my life has in store for me, that it won't always be filled with dirty diapers and sassy toddlers and too much housework and not enough wisdom or confidence to know that what I'm doing makes a difference in this world. Your thoughts were just what I needed today. Thank you.