Thursday, February 14, 2008

Chicken nuggets and Superman


In answer to my query... blog is the accepted abbreviation for
Web Log. I'd be willing to bet every last one of you knew that... but, since no one told me, I'm informing one and all that I'm no longer one of only 42 people in the entire universe who had no idea where the silly sounding word "blog" came from.

I'd really like to write more. But, when you lead a very quiet life in a very quiet town, there just isn't a whole lot of shakin goin on to report about.

There's a poem that I sent to Wayne in the early days of our marriage that sort of says it:

I think about you often
And I'd write you every day
But, there's so very little
That seems worthwhile to say

It either snows or doesn't snow
It's either warm or cold
The news is all uninteresting
Or else, it's all been told

The only thing that matters
Is the fact that you are there
I am here, without you
So it's lonesome everywhere

There's more, but it gets a little bit personal after this point.

I'm back to sitting in my office in Fairview looking out at the covered bridge and the mountains surrounding our valley. I'm no longer making chicken nuggets for the grandkids, but chicken sandwiches for Wayne. I'm no longer reading "Jan ran to the van to get a pan" with Brannock, but reading books that help an adult stretch her mind. I'm not playing hide and seek, but seeking for where the lost socks are hiding. And I'm no longer basking in the glow of hugs and smooches from tiny arms, but missing them terribly. It's true that when I'm away for a while I forget the noise quotient in a house full of little boys. And every time I visit with the grandkids I have to adjust to the rowdiness and high pitched voices that haven't learned to whisper. But, it's such a kick to be with them. They're so totally "without guile"... so full of surprises and sunshine for the soul. I love it! And, of course, it's always comforting to sleep in a house protected by superman himself.

2 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

glad you are back blogging and even uploading photos. I'm looking out my back window out of the office right now at a bunny rabbit just sitting there looking at me looking at him. funny. I enjoyed your poem and comments about your superman. bet he's glad to have you home also. enjoy valentines.

Jade said...

OH that is the cutest superman I have ever seen. Yeah there is something special about kids huh? Oh just so you know, I had no idea that blog came from web-log, so you can add me to that list. I love that poem, I think you should give us the juicy part though:)
LOVE YOU!