Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Music of Sounds


I opened my friend, Lin's blog this morning. She'd written about music and asked for a response from her readers telling her what their favorite music was. That should be pretty easy to answer... but, as is my habit, I had to make it difficult. Let me share some of my answer here:

There are moments when I hear Billy Joel's "It's my Life" and my feet all but run away with me. I just can't sit or stand stlill when I hear that song. It's joyous and exhilarating. I absolutely love music that makes me want to move.

I also love slightly melancholy songs and songs with great swells of sound (think The Lost Chord, Ave Maria, Rachmaninoff) I like country music with lyrics that make me smile, music of the 40's most of the 50's. Heck, I even like some elevator music. But, she asked for our favorite.

The truth of it is that I often turn on the sound system when I'm home alone, but I don't listen to it the majority of time. I really like natural sounds. Music to my ears is:
The crunch of gravel in the driveway when Wayne returns home from an errand, the dogs playing with each other in the yard, the rush of water in the creek. I love the sound of my kids talking to each other in the next room, the door closing when the kids come in late at night, the teapot whistling, water running in the shower, the refrigerator door opening and closing. I like the sound of flip flops and bathroom slippers, my family's footsteps no matter where they are and what's on their feet, a neighbor knocking at the door, and hearing the clack, clack, sputter, chugg of the lawnmower while I'm outside working in the flower gardens.

Sometimes the music of a piano, quitar, violins and harps, or a soothing baritone voice, although most pleasant, serves to filter out those sounds that bring me the most contenment. So, my favorite music? The soft noises that remind me just how lucky I am. I like enough silence in my world to enable me to hear them well...and often.

2 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

hey, so fun to see more blogging from my favorite utah blogger and special friend. glad you are using your blog for a larger audience than my blog's comments. what you have to say is important to many of us-your friends and family and soon to be friends. so keep up the good work. you have less black space this time and a photo!!! tomorrow i teach 12 people in a begining blogging class here at the community center. wish me luck as i'm just a beginner also but it is so FUN. I love it, a creative outlet available for free on my time and in my way!!

Chandi said...

beautifully put. Brannock always says "this is my gigi's favorite song" when we hear "It's my life" playing.

Funny, I agree with you in so many ways. I love good music. I truly do, but sometimes it is just noise that drowns out the beautiful sound of silence. When you live in a very noisy house silence is music to your ears. I also enjoy little sounds. The sounds of summer evenings especially. Kids playing in their yards, crickets chirlping, neighbors calling to each other. They are probably my favorite.