Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Parable of The Pincushion

When I was a young girl, fifty some odd years ago, my mother gave me a large red pincushion for a fifth grade sewing class. It was shaped like a tomato with three green leaves on top, and was filled with sawdust to sharpen the pins and needles as they were placed in it and then withdrawn for use. I've stubbornly held on to that tattered old sphere for decades. It had developed a small hole and begun to leak it's contents into the basket I kept it stored in. It was definitely time for a replacement. I looked for another just like it and found one about half it's size in a dollar store.

A couple of weeks ago a friend stopped by with her 9 year old daughter. I gave Elisa the two pincushions and asked if she would transfer the pins and needles from the old to the new while her mother and I visited. She entertained herself for some time making designs with the pins.

After they left, I took the old cushion in my hand and, knowing that there would be several needles that had worked their way into the sawdust, began to push and massage the worn remains. After more pin pricks than I care to remember, I had released close to three dozen needles. I decided there would be less pain involved in the project if I sliced the cushion open and simply poured out what was inside. As the sawdust spilled onto the table, a forest of needles fell with it, nearly a hundred needles in all had been hiding there, sharp and capable of mending tired and torn items...waiting to be taken in hand and used to create heirloom quality beauty with them.

I began to think of the needles that had been trapped inside my old pincushion, and I wondered... How many women have been hiding the talents that are theirs in the sawdust of day to day activities and the responsibiities that lie at the heart of being a wife and mother, holding a job, keeping a home? Am I the only woman who has allowed her God given talents to slip unnoticed into tattered and worn old habits? Maybe I need to take a sharp instrument to my life and cut away the tired and torn fabric that covers my spirit and let my thoughts spill free. Maybe I need to pick up the words that have been wedged inside for so long, unused, unexpressed, and create something with them.

I am not alone. There are hundreds of women like me...like my needles. Women with talents that are tucked somewhere out of sight, sharp and capable and waiting to be set free, waiting to leave an heirloom quality legacy of beauty behind. What a tragedy it will be if their gifts are allowed to remain hidden from view. The greatest sorrow is for what might have been. Who they might have become who they might have entertained, lifted, and inspired. And again I begin to wonder...

18 comments:

Kay said...

If there's anybody who will be able to inspire others, it would be you, Caryn. You are certainly one who would look to finding treasures hidden in everyone and helping them display their talents. This is a very beautiful post as are all those I find at your blog.

The Keel Gang said...

Write a book gosh darnit!! And have it published by Deseret Book. Become an amazing female LDS author with inspiring books to rival those of Sherri Dew. Then you can even go so far as to get put on the Time Out For Women tour and travel the country inspiring women. It would be magnificently PERFECT for you!

Mare said...

Your posts are like a Zen experience for me. I will think about that all day. God bless you and keep you safe...known by family as GBYAKYS!

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow caryn is writing again...seems like 3 weeks since your last post but they are worth waiting for. write a book-marvelous idea-organize a class and teach others how to live more fully-all great ideas. you could name the book slow down and simplify your life but then you might need to do that also. lol! maybe just post weekly or daily and collect your posts into a book to give to family and friends? life is full of suggestions but first we need to fix our priorities...

Deborah Godin said...

This was a great story; a parable really. Still, symbolism aside, I don't think I could have cut open the old tomato. But I might have written a story, or poem, about it, too!

Susan said...

I love parables that I can relate to. I think it's incredible that you actually took apart a pin cushion...or at least that's what I believe you did. awesome...in fact, I have your entry linked to my blog...I hope my friends visit and read you.

Write, publish but I personally think that you need a far wider range of readers than Deseret Books. Don't narrow yourself to the LDS world. Go for broke and reach for the outer most limits. You can go very far. Your thoughts are timeless and ageless...and the message of truth needs to ring in other ears.

Jean said...

So this means you ARE going to write a book, right??? I hope so. Once again your gift as a writer is evident in the story of your pin cushion. I have a tomato cushion just like yours, filled with sawdust also. I wonder now how many pins are trapped inside it.

Linda Reeder said...

Caryn, begin by submitting this post for publication, either with a magazine or just in a little booklet form. I have no idea how to do that, but it's too wonderful to have such a small audience. The world needs your wisdom.

Rambling Woods said...

I agree with Kay...I find you very gifted and inspiring..Please stop by my blog and visit again..I haven't seen you lately....
Michelle From Rambling Woods

Jean said...

Just received word of this website, Caryn. It's obviously meant for you:


http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/


...competitions, opportunities to review others work, an online writing community, prizes, interviews, and on, and on.

SandyCarlson said...

Wow, Caryn. This is a wonderful parable. I have a tomato, my mother has one, her mother had one, and her mother's mother had one. So the imagery you created stirred my heart as it came to life before my eyes.

Your post makes me think how good a change of perception--a new tomato--can stir up a realization that we have talents. And I am thinking how much confidence gets lost in the dross of routine and how much this keeps the talents hidden. You have started me thinking in a very good way this morning. Thanks.

Jade said...

Wow you the most talented lady I know still have so many talents hiding away? I am glad that you have brought some of those talents out to share with the world, your incredible writing and creativity through this blog. I love it!
Thanks for the reminder of my talents i need to pull out, while I don't have hundreds the way you do I still have some that can and should be put to use. Love you!

Susan said...

In case you read your comments...our vacation was to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.....there's a first entry further back. Thanx for coming and looking and leaving me comments.

Cheryl said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my post today, please come back again. I absolutely was blown away by your parable. This was just so inspiring to me and obviously to many others, I cannot stop thinking about it. I find that taking photos with my little camera opens my eyes to the much bigger world than my own. I enjoy sharing the photos on my blog. As for my blog, I have found many new blogging friends and that is a great gift. P.S. I also had a similar pincushion given to me by my mom, its a treasure to me. Hmmm..I wonder now how many needles and pins can be hidden inside it?

Unknown said...

There is something about seeing a posted comment on each one of my posts from Aunt Caryn that brings a automatic smile to my face. I absolutely ENJOY reading your wise words! I often think of how blessed I am to be a part of such a amazing family. We really feel your love and concern, yes even across the ocean and it is much needed and appreciated!

I cannot believe that you bought her 3 more rompers! She is going to be the most spoiled little girl ever. I'm fine with that as long as she doesn't ACT spoiled. hehe

I tell Thad all the time that he is in charge of raising our children since he turned out so well. I'm trying to pick up on some tricks from you and Trina, but honestly, how did you do it? I love the relationship that you both share with your families. When I read about your girlie trip with Chandi and all the wonderful advice you have for me with my daughter I get butterflys in my tummy! Weird to realize that I have a daughter on the way! =)

The thought of watching Thad with our precious baby girl brings a new joy to my soul. One that words cannot explain. I was just talking to my belly the other day telling her how lucky we are to have such a awesome man in our lives with a huge grin on my face. I am convinced that he will be the best daddy in the world! Thank you thank you for all you do and the great words of wisdom! We love you so much!

Sparky said...

That was a beautifully poignant and moving post. It reminds me of the Scripture that we should "... edify one another with these words." Edifying is wonderful gift to have.

I like your blog. I'm here (first time) from Pappy's Balderdash.

God bless and Happy 4th of July. :o)

dellgirl said...

Your words are like music to my ears, I absolutely love reading your posts. They are always so inspiring. No matter what mood or frame of mind I am in, when I get here and read your post, I leave feeling uplifted.

Have a happy 4th of July weekend, Caryn.

dellgirl said...

I'm just stopping by to see you and to wish you a peaceful and relaxing weekend.