Monday, May 26, 2008

Spaghetti thoughts

I sat in church yesterday and fought the urge to speak up and say something that would have made my husband want to sink into the floorboards. Since I controlled the urge then... I think I'll get it out of my system now.

It just bugs me sometimes to see and hear the collective ego that can run rampant amongst "righteous people". Im sure it's not just my faith... well, pretty sure, anyway. The Sunday School teacher yesterday said, "Can't you just tell who are the members of our church in a crowd? You can always tell them. They look happier, and have a more wholesome countenance. I love keeping my eye open for members and seeing if I can't pick them out." Then a couple of other class members shared experiences that they'd had to prove his point and the "yeas" rang throughout the room. WHA??? What on earth would cause any one group of people to presume that they held the market on joyfulness and purity, twinkling eyes and "Miss Dairy America" smiles? It irritates the ..bleep bleep.. out of me. Good grief! If it were possible to tell the "righteous" from the "not so righteous" a story like Ted Bundy's would never be told.

And why are we out there looking for "our people" anyway? If we're as godloving and righteous as we claim to be, shouldn't we at least occasionally be spending our time on the lookout for the lost and lonely? Shouldn't we find delight in finding those bereft of hope and giving a hand up to someone who's in a spiritual, emotional or financial slump? I'd rather have my arm around the shoulder of a weeping soul who's looking to find his way back to the good life he can barely remember, than around the shoulder of some pompous, arrogant twit who thinks that his breed of faith gives him the corner on a peaceful face.

And then... in the women's group we got into a discussion on the responsibilities of motherhood and ridiculous promises were thrown out that if we have family prayer, and teach the kiddies church songs, and take them to their youth group activities, and do all the other wonderful things that we all WISH we always did as mothers, that they will never stray from the path to God and eternal life in His Kingdom. Poppycock! In the first place... none of us, and no one that any of us has ever met, meets the criteria for being the Perfect mother...although, mine came close. Stepford mom's, like Stepford wives, are the invention of a somewhat troubled mind. And why would a kind heart speak words in a public meeting that could wound another's heart? I just don't understand how we can be that unaware that a myriad of experiences fill the chairs in every gathering. I promise you this... in any congregation, in any church in the nation... there are mothers whose sons and/or daughters are caught in a tangled web of alcohol or drugs. There is someone sitting in that room who has a child in prison, who's son is gay, who's daughter just had a child out of wedlock... She's hurting and feeling all sorts of misplaced guilt. She needs someone to help her through this heartache... to help her feel like she belongs among the "Norman Rockwell" families she perceives to be all around her. She doesn't need us to stomp all over her pain, or to clumsily intensify her feelings of isolation.

We all do the best we can as mothers. Some didn't have great examples of nurturing to follow. Some were mothers at such a young age that they hadn't grown up themselves yet. Some were completely overwhelmed when too many babies came to quickly. Some have husbands who are neglectful or cruel. Some are happy, intelligent, sweet, and loving women who have done everything right...And some of every one of these groups have a child who has, or is, stumbling along a darkened and rocky road. Almost all of us have regrets...something we wish we'd done more of, less of, or differently. But we did what we knew how to do, what we thought was best at the time.

I heard a speaker years ago who said something that will always stick with me. Not only because his words are a salve... but, because his words make sense. He said,
"So many of us are puffed up and proud because all of our children have served missions for the church, been married in the temple, and have accepted callings of high positions. We stand tall, behind our facade of humility our eyes search for those who applaude our great parenting. But, there are among us parents who have hearts torn in two because they have children who have strayed, become lost, and are struggling mightely along lifes paths. Behind their smiles, their eyes are soft and they search with longing for someone who will understand, who can lift the burden of sorrow for a while. Let me suggest something to you. Is it not entirely possible that God in all of His infinite wisdom, looked at a difficult, rebellious spirit waiting to enter this mortal existance and said, "If this child has any chance at all, it's going to be with the _____ family". And he gave some of his most difficult, challenging spirit offspring to those He knew He could trust to be the most patient...who would be strong enough to carry the difficulties and disappointments... who would never stop believing in the precious child He had entrusted to their care, who would defend them, encourage them, pray for them, plead with them, ..forever, and for always. He found some of His most stalwart and faithful young parents, those He knew could withstand the lessons that would give them an understanding of the pain our Father in Heaven feels at the loss of so many of His own dearly beloved sons and daughters."

Makes sense to me. Anyway... I just had to let pressure out of the cooker before the top blew off and I had a spaghetti dish of stringy thoughts hanging all over the kitchen walls. I feel better now. I hope you're still doing okay.

10 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

Wow Caryn you need to write or talk more often to let off steam. I enjoyed reading your comments and agree with you. The tendency for people to become too self righteous and not have charity and give service to everyone. I also am careful in what comments I make in church because once made and taken the wrong way, it's harder to take back. But you should talk with your hubby about it at home, perhaps he feels the same way. I had the same lesson but the emphasis was on mothers not overscheduling their lives and their children's lives but doing those things they need to do to fill their wells. And get their husbands to help. Looking forward to visiting you tomorrow.

The Keel Gang said...

So glad to see you back & sharing your thoughts & wisdom. I just soak it all up. I'll agree & disagree just to have some conversational fun. That's what blogs are all about, right? While I find it prideful as well that some members think we own the right to happiness & "Miss Dairy America" smiles, hahaha. Loved that part..... I do feel we can sense another member, but it's not about happiness or joy or smiling faces, it's about unity and spirit. I have known non-members to pick us out of a crowd and say, are you LDS? It might have been the number of kids, who knows, but I have had a time or two I was for sure someone else I came in contact with had the LDS spirit about them, but it was just a feeling, nothing really outwardly that showed, apart from other people. But, I do whole heartedly agree that a lot of LDS mothers do forget the plights of other LDS mothers who want to fit the supposed mold of the Perfect Mother. We all strive and I truly believe there is NO SET WAY to assure your children will never stray & I LOVED the quotes you shared about mothers being given certain spirits. I believe in this truth very firmly. I too hope that over time those that forget the diversity of women around them, will come to see in some form or fashion that we all are in this together and must stand united. "If ye are not one, ye are not mine."

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Well said. There are wonderful and not-so-wonderful people of all religious, racial, and ethnic groups. You sound like a terrific person to know.

Sarah Jayne said...

Those are hard subjects and I would agree that they are often taught in the wrong way! Even God himself lost 1/3 of his children and is continually losing more, so why in the world would he PROMISE us that we won't lose any of ours! We are not promised that we will not lose any of our children to the ways of the world, we are only promised that if we do read with them and teach them all we know, they will know the way back if they so choose to come back! Hopefully we can find comfort in knowing that we did all we could! I have seen my own mother and Jaime's mother go through that guilt with some of their children and I saddens me because I do know that they did all they possibly could! We are just given the wonderful gift of agency!

Anonymous said...

I liked what Sarah said above about how God himself lost 1/3 of His children - that really put judging people into perspective. It's a sad thing to think about. I think about Lehi too, and Laman and Lemuel.

You're right about people not having charity towards each other enough. I've felt it down here and I think I'm very guilty of it too.

Carrie and Shane said...

I agree that one of my biggest pet peeves at church is talking about people of other faiths or of no faith at all and saying they cannot possibly know what happiness is. Some of my greatest life lessons have come from people not of the LDS faith. To be completely honest, it kind of bothers me when people can pick me out as being LDS. I really try hard not to wear it on my sleave because sometimes people think I can't relate to them or really become friends with them. The other day I wanted to set a girl up with my brother-in-law and she was really interested until she asked "aren't you LDS?" I thought yes, but we can still be friends. One thing I like about Mitt Romney is that he kept alcohol in his home for entertaining guests. Anyway, I guess my point is, I hope people aren't able to pick me or others out as being LDS because of a self-righteous nature rather than the "light" or "happiness" we may be mistaking it for. Certainly at times it's been both.

Great Grandma Lin said...

caryn i'm getting tired of seeing shaghetti thoughts everyday although they are interesting when i check your blog for new posts. surprise us all with some new observations of the universe from our favorite blogger. your audience awaits....

Lynley said...

yeah, so the other day this woman came up to me and gingerly asked me if I was a witch. She said there was something mystical about me, and I illuminated a soft green light of sorts.

So I guess I'm proof that you can be a Mormon, and yet be mistaken for a witch. Not all of us carry that righteous glow. I actually think that's just good make-up.

And I don't think I would've come to this earth without a "100% guarantee, or money back" promise that I could return back at least as good, if not better eternal state than I was.

P.S. go Mitt Romney!

Unknown said...

I really relate with you on this one. Especially since not to long ago I was the lost, lonely soul looking, actually more like begging, for someone, anyone, to put there arm around me and tell me that my Heavenly Father still loves me. Despite of all the mistakes that I was making. When I hear people talk like this it makes me want to rebel all over again! I have VERY strong feelings about this subject and it's good to know that other people do too!
I finally updated our blog. Well sort of. Lots of new pics and only a little writting. I don't have too much time right now, but I'll get right on it for all of our "fans" Love ya!!

Rambling Woods said...

This was my first visit..Interesting post. I see self righteous people of differing beliefs. Thank you for not being one of "those" people. And I don't believe I have ever met a person from "LDS" church here where I live in western NY. But I can learn via blogs...