Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I find it odd...

     I do find it a wee bit odd how our lives mellow and meld into nature as we age.  I've noticed that the older I get, the more interested and entertained I am by the simplest of things. 

     As I dressed this morning, I was struck by how often we seem to decorate our day by decorating ourselves.  I shimmied into a pair of jean capris from last summer that I almost fit in,  pulled a favorite denim blouse from the back of the closet, and then placed three pearl bracelets on my wrist, and an eight strand pearl necklace around my neck.  Sounds a bit strange, I know.... but the overall look is casual, and it came together exceptionally well.  I was both surprised and tickled at the outcome. I was interested and entertained by the everyday act of putting together something to wear.

     I walked to the kitchen and put the teapot on to boil.  I hummed as I sliced an orange that was picked from a Southern California tree only days ago, and watched the tiny rivers of juice as they spilled onto the counter. I smiled broadly when the teapot began to whistle and took took a blue china cup from the cupboard, filled it with steaming water, and the aromatic blend of my morning "cupa hot".  I was interested and entertained as I submerged myself in the daily routine.

     I sipped the soothing brew and watched two small lizards chasing one another up and down the trunk of a Mimosa tree that shades our pond.  I found myself writing and rewriting the story of their romance as they scampered behind branches playing a game of hide and seek with one another.  It was delightful.  I noticed the Mourning Doves, Robins, and Finches that come several times each day to nibble on the birdseed that I set on our wall, and to splash and drink from the flowing water as it burbles and glides over flat rocks that form a waterfall above the pond.  I was interested and entertained as I became a peeping Tom, melding into one small act of nature taking place in my backyard.

     Now that I take another look at all of this... I don't find it odd at all.   Life is delicious!  It is my hope that I will maintain a measure of awareness for all that is mine to relish in and savor in this marvel of a world that is ours...all that a benevolent Father in Heaven has bestowed on us all to keep us interested and entertained. 
   

3 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

Hurrah Caryn is back blogging, now to add some photos of your lovely back yard...you are a poet writer at heart in the way you craft create your words to express you thoughts...

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Oh yippee! Is it true, Caryn? You're back blogging?

I so enjoyed your morning musings following your thoughts wherever they went. I like the idea of your outfit combo ... denim and pearls. Sounds delightful!

Wishing you many more glimpses of heaven in unexpected places.
Brenda

dellgirl said...

What! A! TREAT!!! It was so much fun sitting with you, watching those two small lizards chasing one another up and down the trunk of the Mimosa tree. I enjoyed that a lot, thanks for the nice visit. Oooooohhh, it's so good to see you here!

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!